Colts Win Series Finale vs. AbileneAugust 8, 2012 - North American League (NAL) San Angelo Colts
Starter Brian Henschel (5-7) earned his second consecutive win over the Prairie Dogs, allowing four runs on nine hits in eight innings of work. Henschel set Abilene down in order twice, and retired the final four batters he faced.
The Prairie Dogs got off to a hot start, as centerfielder and leadoff man Jason Martin hit a solo home run on the first pitch of the game. It was Martin's sixth homer of the year.
Abilene got out to a 4-2 lead midway through the game. However, San Angelo tied the game with two unearned runs in the bottom of the fifth.
Centerfielder Ronnie Gaines reached base on an error and scored on an RBI ground out by first baseman Daryl Jones. Designated hitter Cory Patton followed with a single, and scored from second on an RBI base hit by left fielder Jamar Walton.
The Colts then took the lead in the seventh inning, courtesy of an RBI single by right fielder Jason Crosland. The base hit scored Patton, who hit an infield single earlier in the inning.
Abilene reliever Scott Vander Weg (1-6) surrendered the go-ahead run and took the loss.
After Henschel pitched eight solid innings, closer Erik Draxton pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his league-best 18th save.
The Colts begin a four-game series against the Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings in Harlingen Thursday night. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m., and the game can be heard live on 1260 KKSA beginning at 6:50 p.m.
San Angelo returns home on August 18 to play the Abilene Prairie Dogs. It will be the Vegas Fan Fly Away, sponsored by Midland International Airport. One fan will win two tickets to Las Vegas, courtesy of Midland International Airport. Gates open at 6:05 p.m., and first pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
The Colts are a member of United League Baseball who are in their 13th season. Tickets are on sale now, and available at the Colts' front office at Foster Field.
North American League Stories from August 8, 2012
- Cats Comeback Not Enough, Split Series with First Place Edinburg - Fort Worth Cats
- Prairie Dogs host Ft Worth Cats for 6 game set - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Colts Win Series Finale vs. Abilene - San Angelo Colts
- Colts nip Prairie Dogs - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Roadrunners Earn Split with Cats - Edinburg Roadrunners
- McAllen Beats Rio Grande Valley 3-2 - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Thunder Defeat Wings in Close Game - McAllen Thunder
- WhiteWings Trade Fidel Hernandez to McAllen for Roberto Rodriguez - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Colts' Youth Clinic Postponed - San Angelo Colts
- Cats Add Infielder to Roster - Fort Worth Cats
- Dogs Grab Two From Pecos - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- WhiteWings Have Spirit Day Friday with Harlingen and Harlingen South Fans - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Colts Lose to Abilene in 14 Innings - San Angelo Colts
- Dogs win marathon - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Grapes Fall to San Rafael 3-2 in Game Two of Series - San Rafael Pacifics
- San Rafael Tops Grapes Behind Strong Start from Rasner - San Rafael Pacifics
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.