Burch Blast Backs up Excellent Pitching PerformanceAugust 8, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Traverse City Beach Bums
The game went scoreless into the sixth as both pitchers were magnificent. Reid Kelly allowed Evansville just one hit through six innings. Meanwhile, Otters' starter, Bryce Morrow had not surrendered a hit through the first six frames.
Traverse City would break the ice in the game in the seventh as Chase Burch led off the inning with his 11th homer of the season to break up the no-hitter and shutout all in one swing. Evansville would grab the lead in the bottom of the frame with four singles to score two runs and go up 2-1.
The Beach Bums went right back on the offensive in the top of the eighth as Kyle Eveland led off the frame with a hustle double down the leftfield line. Ryan Still followed with a triple off the wall in right to score Eveland and tie the game at 2-2. Two batters later, Jose Vargas drove a ball off the wall in centerfield to bring home Still and put TC up 3-2. Burch came up next and scorched a ball off the leg of Evansville hurler Dan Marcacci that caromed into shallow right field to plate Vargas and put the Beach Bums up 4-2.
The Otters would threaten, putting two runners on with one out in the bottom of the eighth, but that was when Matt Miller came on, getting a pair of flyouts on just four pitches to quell the rally. Miller would then retire Evansville in order for his seventh save of the season.
The win went to Nick Capito (5-0) who tossed a scoreless inning of work. Patrick Crider (2-2) took the loss. Both starters were exceptional in the ballgame. Reid Kelly went 6.1 innings for the Beach Bums allowing two runs on four hits, striking out seven. Morrow allowed one run on two hits over seven innings for the Otters.
Offensively, Burch had two hits and two RBI. Also in the ballgame, Kyle Colligan had a seventh inning single, the 300th hit of his professional career.
The series wraps up on Thursday with Brooks Belter (8-2, 3.25) on the mound for Traverse City against Matt Crim (3-7, 4.11) for Evansville. Coverage on Sunny Country 101.9 will begin with the Beach Bums Pregame Show at 7:15 p.m. outside of a scheduled 7:35 p.m. first pitch.
Traverse City returns home for a weekend series starting with a FANtastic Fireworks Friday against Schaumburg at 7:05 p.m. For tickets call 943-0100, log on to tcbeachbums.com or visit the Wuerfel Park ticket office.
Frontier League Stories from August 8, 2012
- Joliet Clinches 5-4 Win with Walk-Off Base Hit - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Outslug Freedom - Florence Freedom
- RiverHawks squander chances in 8-2 loss - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Hit Their Way to Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Lake Erie offense erupts in 9-4 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Crushers Take Series from Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Back to School Supply Drive for Victims of Harrisburg Tornado - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Post Rain Shortened Shutout - Schaumburg Boomers
- Traverse City Rallies Back for 4-2 Win over Evansville Otters - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Lose Season-High Fifth Straight - River City Rascals
- ThunderBolts Hold off Florence 9-7 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Burch Blast Backs up Excellent Pitching Performance - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Chris Smith Tosses Second Complete-Game Shutout - Washington Wild Things
- Wild Things Top 'Belters in Game Two - Normal CornBelters
- P Rich Mascheri Joining New York Yankees Organization - Normal CornBelters
- August 8 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Four-Time Stanley Cup Champion Highlights Beach Bums Upcoming Homestand - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Giveaways Galore this Weekend - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.