Grizzlies Hammer Rascals in Series OpenerAugust 3, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Gateway Grizzlies
As a club, Gateway (41-29) recorded ten hits in all to tally scores in the first, second, fifth, sixth, and seventh with all but two members of the starting lineup contributing hits to overpower their cross-river foe Rascals (34-36).
"We knew how big this game was and it always feels great to beat these guys," mentioned Hernandez. "We don't scoreboard watch as a club, but we know each and every night what is at stake and we pride ourselves in winning series."
Pacing the Grizzlies bats at the plate was the catcher Hernandez, who finished 2-for-3 with two RBI and a pair of long balls. Rogelio Noris (.317) continued to impress with the bat, going 2-for-3 with another homerun and two RBI. Chris McClendon extended his hit streak to seven games with a 2-for-4, two RBI effort in front of the 2,939 Grizzlies faithful to round out the notables.
Not to be overshadowed by Gateway's offensive outburst, starter Paul Tremlin (5-2) claimed the win, tossing a masterful seven-inning shutout contest while allowing only four hits, four walks while notching five strikeouts. Relief hurler Ja'Vaun West offered assistance out of the pen with two scoreless innings.
Gateway will seek to clinch their ninth straight series win tomorrow night at 7:05 PM at GCS Ballpark in game two of the three-game set. Ace righty Tim Brown (7-2) will pitch for the Grizzlies on Penny Bank Giveaway presented by U.S. Bank and Wells Fargo.
Frontier League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Recchia Shuts out RiverHawks, Earns League Record - Rockford RiverHawks
- ThunderBolts win over Rockford - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Recchia Shuts out RiverHawks; Earns League Record - Rockford RiverHawks
- Grizzlies Hammer Rascals in Series Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Shut out at Gateway - River City Rascals
- Otters Win Sixth Straight Game - Evansville Otters
- Schaumburg Boomers Drop Series Opener to Slammers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Miners' Arms Contain Beach Bums - Southern Illinois Miners
- Slammers Blank Boomers to Open Series - Joliet Slammers
- Beach Bums' Bullpen Effort Not Enough - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie's four game winning streak snapped in 9-2 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- Barnes Flirts with No-Hitter, Wild Things Win 9-2 - Washington Wild Things
- Evansville wins 4-1 - Normal CornBelters
- August 3 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Acquire Cunniff from River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Score Nine in Eighth; Top Washington 10-6 - River City Rascals
- Evansville Earns First Sweep of Season - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.