Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 WinJuly 9, 2012 - American Association (AA) Gary SouthShore Railcats
Chris Carrara drew a walk against Tycen Po Vey to lead off the bottom of the ninth. David Cooper followed with a bunt single, beating out the throw to first. Klein fouled off the first two pitches trying to bunt the runners over. In an 0-2 count, Klein hit a high chopper over the head of Saltdogs' first baseman John Alonso and into right field to score Carrara and seal the victory.
The RailCats grabbed the lead in the first inning against Saltdogs starter Ryan Sheldon. Mike Massaro hit a one-out triple to right, tying the American Association all-time record with 25 triples since the 'Cats joined the league in 2011. The next batter, Mike Coles, ripped a double to left to score Massaro and put the RailCats on top 1-0.
RailCats starter Will Krout held the Saltdogs hitless for the first three innings, but ran into trouble in the fourth. The Saltdogs knocked four straight hits, including back-to-back doubles by John Alonso and Stephen Holdren to take a 3-1 lead.
The 'Cats answered in the bottom of the frame, as Brian Kolb drove an RBI double off the wall in left and Chris Carrara reached on an error that scored Kolb to tie the game at three. Lincoln plated a run in the fifth on a fielding error by center fielder Sean Henry. Craig Maddox hit a sac fly in the bottom of the inning for the RailCats to tie the game again at four.
RailCats starter Will Krout took a no decision, pitching seven innings and allowing four runs, three of which were earned. Chris Allen (4-4) pitched 1 2/3 scoreless innings for the win. Saltdogs starter Ryan Sheldon went 5 2/3 innings, allowing four runs on seven hits.
The finale of the series and homestand is Tuesday night at 7:10 at U. S. Steel Yard.
American Association Stories from July 9, 2012
- X's Nipped by Saints - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Score Four in Ninth, Win in Extras 10-9 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Edge Wingnuts Again - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lemurs Lose Tight Game - Laredo Lemurs
- Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Miles Ahead of Explorers in 3-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever - Wichita Wingnuts
- Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.