Two Slammers Named to the Frontier League West Division All-Star TeamJuly 4, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Joliet Slammers
Nieves, 26, has played every position for the Slammers this season except for center field, catcher and pitcher. He is currently hitting a team-leading .348 with three home runs and 19 RBI. Nieves played two years of ball at Middle Georgia College before being picked by the Angels in the 50th round of the 2004 draft. Nieves shows good patience at the plate as evidenced by the fact his career On Base Percentage in affiliated baseball (.359) is nearly 100 points higher than his career batting average (.262). Nieves' OBP with the Slammers this season is currently .441. He played at the Triple-A level in 2010 before spending the 2011 season playing in his native Venezuela.
Diaz, 25, has struck out 21 batters in 17.2 innings and has nine saves to his credit. The right-hander currently sports a 2.04 ERA. Diaz signed with the Angels out of Venezuela at the age of 18. Diaz reached the Double-A level at the age of 21 and got promoted to Triple-A by the Angels in 2010. His career ERA at the Double-A level is 3.87 in 62 games.
Last year the Slammers had four Frontier League All-Stars with Oak Lawn native Erik Lis winning the All-Star Game MVP Award in Avon, Ohio. Joliet's other All-Stars in 2011 were Joliet native Ryan Quigley (currently in the San Diego Padres' organization), New Lenox native Josh Flores (currently working in the "real world") and Bobby Leeper (currently working to earn a graduate degree).
Fans can get tickets to watch the two All-Stars and the rest of the Slammers by calling 815-722-2287. Joliet is home through Sunday before the All-Star break. More details about the exciting events this week can be found at http://jolietslammers.com/gameday/promo-days.
The Joliet Slammers are members of the Frontier League of Professional Baseball. The Frontier League is the oldest continuously operating independent professional league, in its 20th season in 2012. For more information about the Frontier League visit www.frontierleague.com.
Frontier League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Grizzlies Winning Streak Snapped with Loss to Windy City - Gateway Grizzlies
- Decker's Slam Helps ThunderBolts over Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Beach Bums Belt Normal - Traverse City Beach Bums
- RiverHawks Win; Lee Signed by Braves - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rascals Drop Series to Miners - River City Rascals
- Miners Take Series at Home - Southern Illinois Miners
- Button's homer lifts RiverHawks in 7-3 win - Rockford RiverHawks
- Braves Sign RiverHawks Ace - Rockford RiverHawks
- No Fireworks for Rippers on 4th of July - London Rippers
- Traverse City Tops CornBelters 6-2 - Normal CornBelters
- July 4 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Otters 4th of July Game Postponed by Rain - Evansville Otters
- Six ThunderBolts on Frontier League All-Star Team - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Rained out on the 4th - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters Pitcher Dan Blewett Named to 2012 Frontier League All Star Team - Evansville Otters
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie - Rockford RiverHawks
- Four Grizzlies Named to 2012 Frontier League All-Star Team - Gateway Grizzlies
- Four Schaumburg Boomers Earn All-Star Recognition - Schaumburg Boomers
- Three Rascals Named to Frontier League All-Star Team - River City Rascals
- Herrera, Lee and Greener Named 2012 Frontier League All-Stars - Rockford RiverHawks
- Two Slammers Named to the Frontier League West Division All-Star Team - Joliet Slammers
- Pair of Crushers Selected as All-Stars - Lake Erie Crushers
- Six Miners Selected to All-Star Game - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums Place Frontier League Record Nine All-Stars on East Division Squad - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Frontier League All-Star Teams Announced - FL
- 'Belters Have Three Players on All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- Four Rippers Make Frontier League All-Star Team - London Rippers
- RiverHawks Lose Tough One in Washington - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.