Trenton Launches Portland 11-3 in Series FinaleJuly 3, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Portland Sea Dogs
The Sea Dogs took a 1-0 lead into the third inning, but the Thunder offense erupted for five runs on four hits and never looked back. Zoilo Almonte put the Thunder in front for good with a three run shot to center with one down in the inning. Trenton plated two more runs in the inning to take a 5-1 lead.
Portland jumped out to an early lead in the first when Crawford walked to lead off the ballgame, stole third, and scored on Bryce Brentz's sacrifice fly to right field. Marquez Smith drove in the second run for the Sea Dogs with an RBI single to right that plated Brentz.
The Thunder upped its lead in the fifth on a Luke Murton two-run shot that cleared the message center in left-center. The big fly was Murton's 17th of the season and third in as many games. A solo shot in the sixth off the bat of Addison Maruszak put the Thunder in front 8-2. Trenton wrapped up the offensive attack with a three run seventh inning.
Portland picked up another unearned run in the seventh, but that would be all the offense could muster in the loss. Jackie Bradley Jr. plated Ryan Dent on a single to right field for Portland's final run. Trenton's starter Shaeffer Hall (7-6) delivered 6 2/3 innings and allowed three runs, one earned on six hits. The lefty walked four and struck out two in the win.
In total, the Portland Sea Dogs pitching staff used four pitchers and allowed 11 runs on 15 hits in the loss. Anthony Ranaudo (1-3) lasted just three innings and allowed five runs, four earned, on seven hits. He hit a batter and walked a batter, but did not record a strikeout. Chris Balcom-Miller and Chorye Spoone were the first two out of the Portland 'pen and each allowed three more runs over the next five innings. Josh Fields was the only pitcher that did not allow a run.
Crawford played seven innings and had four plate appearances in his debut with the Portland Sea Dogs. He patrolled left field, had one putout, made a diving attempt on a ball hit to him, and made a couple of throws from left on base hits by the Thunder. He also fouled a ball off of his right knee in the third inning, but remained in the game.
Breakdown of Crawford Plate Appearances: 1-2, 2BB, R, SB (21 Pitches)
Bottom 1st: Walk - 6 Pitches - Ball, Foul, Ball, Foul, Ball, Ball
Bottom 3rd: F7 - 7 Pitches - Called Strike, Foul, Ball, Foul, Ball, Ball, F7
Bottom 5th: Walk - 5 Pitches - Ball, Ball, Swinging Strike, Ball, Ball
Bottom 7th: Single - 3 Pitches - Swinging Strike, Ball, 1B
The Sea Dogs hit the road for a six game road trip that begins Wednesday night with a 7:05 PM game against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats in Manchester, New Hampshire. Right-handed pitcher Stolmy Pimentel (2-4, 5.82) will get the start for the Sea Dogs. New Hampshire will send righty Chad Jenkins (4-7, 4.91) to the hill. The Sea Dogs can be heard on the U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs radio network with 95.5/95.9 FM WPEI serving as the flagship station.
The Sea Dogs return to Hadlock Field following the all-star break for eight games, a four game series with the Fisher Cats (Blue Jays affiliate), followed by three against the Reading Phillies (Phillies affiliate). Tickets are available for all remaining 2012 Sea Dogs' home games. Book your nine-inning vacation by calling the Sea Dogs Ticket Office at 207-879-9500 or log on to www.seadogs.com.
Eastern League Stories from July 3, 2012
- B-Mets Snap Skid with Comeback Win, 3-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Gilliam Outstanding in Relief, Senators Win 4-3 in 12 Innings - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Fall in 12 - Erie SeaWolves
- Squirrels Beat Aeros 7-5, Take Series 3-1 - Akron Aeros
- Squirrels Hold off Aeros for Series Win, 7-5 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Glenn Powers 14-2 Rout of Reading - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Win Streak Halted as B-Mets Steal Finale, 3-2 - Altoona Curve
- Rock Cats Top Bowie In Wild One, 14-7 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Rock Cats Use 10-Run First to Top Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Three More HRs Lead Thunder to Fourth Straight Win at Portland, 11-3 - Trenton Thunder
- Trenton Launches Portland 11-3 in Series Finale - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Gates to Open Early for Big Fourth in Curve, PA - Altoona Curve
- OF Justin Jackson Transferred to Dunedin - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Akron - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Add Three New Players - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Place Two on DL - Akron Aeros
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox 20th Season Card Set Giveaway - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Ring in the Fourth with Fireworks, Giveaways, and More - Altoona Curve
- R-Phils Jordan Whatcott Added to Eastern Division Roster - Reading Fightin Phils
- Whatcott Added to Eastern Division Roster - EL
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs. Altoona Curve - Binghamton Mets
- RHP Tim Bascom Transferred to Triple-A Norfolk - Bowie Baysox
- Baysox Host Date Night at the Diamond - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Sweep Doubleheader from Sea Dogs, 12-4 and 5-3 - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.