TinCaps Limited to Three Hits in Shutout LossJune 16, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
Fort Wayne (31-38) leadoff hitter Jace Peterson began the game with a base hit, but was stranded as the next three men were retired in order. The TinCaps did not have another base hit until the seventh inning. Bowling Green starter Ryan Carpenter (6-3) recorded 10 consecutive outs following the Peterson single. Carpenter issued a walk to Donavan Tate in the fifth, snapping that streak. The Hot Rods starter then retired nine consecutive batters, before Yeison Asencio singled with two out in the seventh. Carpenter yielded two hits and one walk over his seven innings, and struck out a career-high nine batters.
Bowling Green (37-32) scored in the bottom of the first inning against Fort Wayne starter Ruben Mejia (1-2). Drew Vettleson, who scored the game-winning run Friday night, grounded into a double play, allowing Ryan Brett to score. Leading 1-0, the Hot Rods tacked on another run in the fifth on a Todd Glaesmann sacrifice fly. Mejia threw five innings, allowing seven hits and two runs, one earned. He walked two and struck out three.
Dennis O'Grady worked the final three innings of the game for Fort Wayne. He allowed two runs in the seventh, to give Bowling Green a 4-0 advantage. O'Grady surrendered three hits, walked one and struck out three.
With the win, Bowling Green secured the first half wild-card spot in the Midwest League playoffs. Fort Wayne has lost four straight games.
The finale of the three-game series, and the first half, is scheduled for Sunday afternoon at 3:05 Eastern. The scheduled starters are Cody Hebner for Fort Wayne and Roberto Gomez for Bowling Green.
Midwest League Stories from June 16, 2012
- Bees' Granier Helps Beat Beloit, 11-3 - Burlington Bees
- Loons Rust Lugnuts in Rainy Game - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Come Back Stinging - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Limited to Three Hits in Shutout Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Ride Carpenter's Stellar Start into Playoffs - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Drop Fourth Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Hawks Blanked by Slugging Whitecaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Loons overtake Lugnuts, 7-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Extinguish Dragons 11-2 - Lake County Captains
- Captains Bop Dragons 11-2 - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings and Chiefs Suspended - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs - Clinton Suspended by Rain - Peoria Chiefs
- Timber Rattlers rained out in Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits and Timber Rattlers Cancelled by Rain - Quad Cities River Bandits
- MMA Fights Postponed at Ashford University Field - Clinton LumberKings
- Glaesmann's Tenth-Inning Doubles Walks Hot Rods Off - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.