June 13 Joliet Slammers Game NotesJune 13, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Joliet Slammers
Wednesday, June 13 - 7:05 p.m. CT
Silver Cross Field - Joliet, IL
Game #24 - Home Game #12 (12-11), (6-5)
RHP #19 Eric Binder (2-1, 3.18 ERA) vs. RHP #31 Robbie Penny (1-2, 5.96 ERA)
Last time out.
The Joliet Slammers took the middle game of their three-game series with the Schaumburg Boomers by a final score of 8-0 Tuesday night. Wander Alvino, Chase Doremus, Brian Smith and Amalio Diaz combined to shutout Schaumburg. Offensively, the Slammers were led by Abel Nieves and David Fox. Nieves went 2-4 with a run scored and two RBI. Meanwhile Fox went 2-5 with a run scored and a RBI. Jimmy Waters and Zach Mandelblatt also had good days at the plate with Waters going 1-2 with three runs scored and two walks. Meanwhile Mandelblatt went 1-3 with a run scored and two walks. It was the first time all season the Slammers had shutout an opponent as the pitching staff held Schaumburg to only two hits. The Boomers did not help their cause by committing four errors in the game. Alvino picked up the win in his Slammers debut while Tyler Watkins suffered the loss for the Boomers.
Hinsdale Central High School alum Eric Binder gets the start tonight for Joliet. He won his first two starts for the Slammers but lost his last outing on June 8 against the London Rippers. In that contest he went six innings, giving up four runs (three earned) on seven hits. Binder walked a season-high four and struck out a season-low one in the game. He spent 2011 in the Cardinals organization after being signed as a non-drafted free agent. Binder pitched at Northwestern University and Trinity University in college.
Tonight is the rubber match of the three-game series with the Boomers. Joliet is 0-2 in rubber matches so far in the 2012 season. A win tonight would be the Slammers' third series win at home against only one home series lost.
Same as last year.
The Slammers currently sit at 12-11, the exact same record they had after 23 games in 2011. A win tonight would move them to 13-11 and only 2 games out of first. After 24 games last year, Joliet was 12-12 and two games out of first. Of course, the Slammers would go on to win the league title in 2011.
Abel is able.
Abel Nieves has hit safely in all but two of the games he's played in this season. His nine multi-hit games are tops on the team. Nieves leads the Slammers in batting average (.397), hits (29), total bases (36), OBP (.483), SLG (.493) and OPS (.976).
The Slammers are 2-8 in games when they make an error. They are 10-3 in games when they do not.
Best of the best.
The Slammers pitching staff has an ERA of 3.36, the lowest in the league. They've held opponents to a .223 batting average, also the lowest in the league.
When the Slammers out-hit an opponent they are 10-4, but when the opponent out-hits the Slammers Joliet has a record of 1-7.
David Fox is hitting .264 on the season but with men in scoring position he's hitting a scorching .474. He also leads the team in RBI with 16.
Movin' on up!
RHP Gaby Hernandez became the fourth Slammers player to move on to affiliated baseball when his contract was purchased by the Diamondbacks on May 21. He joins LHP Aaron Dott, Joliet native RHP Ryan Quigley and Darien native RHP Chris Pack as former Slammers in MLB organizations.
The Slammers signed RHP Wander Alvino yesterday.
Frontier League Stories from June 13, 2012
- RiverHawks Unable to Complete Sweep, Fall 12-5 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Pound Slammers 9-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Break out to Win Series at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Score Late for Narrow 2-1 Win over Otters - Evansville Otters
- Miners Avoid Sweep with Win over Beach Bums - Southern Illinois Miners
- Florence Completes Sweep, Defeats London 6-2 - Florence Freedom
- Beach Bums Drop Final Game of Series - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers Sweep Wild Things with 7-2 Victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- 'Belters Complete Sweep of Evansville - Normal CornBelters
- Wild Things Swept by Crushers - Washington Wild Things
- Rippers Swept out of Kentucky - London Rippers
- June 13 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Take Series from Rascals with Day Game Victory - Gateway Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Take Series from Rascals - River City Rascals
- Boomers Return to Action in Schaumburg Thursday - Schaumburg Boomers
- Route 66 Night on Father's Day at Silver Cross Field - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Offer Not Just Father's Day Gift, But Experience Too - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.