Boomers Blanked at JolietJune 12, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Schaumburg Boomers
Joliet struck first in the bottom of the third inning. Jimmy Waters recorded an infield single and scored following a pair of wild pitches in the frame from Schaumburg starter Tyler Watkins. An unearned run in the fifth extended the lead to 2-0 as the Slammers took advantage of an error and two walks, scoring a run on a sacrifice fly from Abel Nieves.
Two more runs came across in the bottom of the sixth as the host Slammers strung together four consecutive hits to chase Watkins from the game. Dave Whigham entered and limited further damage, stranding runners at second and third. Joliet put the game away with four runs in the eighth off Kaleb Engelke, who was making his professional debut.
Watkins failed to pitch through the sixth inning for the first time this season, suffering the loss despite striking out a career best five. Wander Alvino, signed before the game by Joliet, pitched five shutout innings to earn the win. Frank Pfister and Mike Valadez recorded hits for the Boomers. Despite recording just two hits, the Boomers had six individuals reach base, drawing six walks and being hit by a pitch once.
The rubber match of the three game series will be on Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. RHP Robbie Penny (1-2, 5.96) starts for the Boomers opposite RHP Eric Binder (2-1, 3.18) for Joliet.
* Prior to the game LHP Jose Rodriguez was placed the 14-day injured reserve list with a sprained ankle, allowing Engelke, a rookie from UW-Milwaukee, to join the roster
* Four times this season the Boomers have won three in a row; The club has never been able to extend the streak to four games
* Schaumburg committed a season high four errors in the defeat
Season Tickets, Group Outings and single-game tickets for the Inaugural Season of Schaumburg Boomers Baseball are on sale now by calling the 847.461.3695, by visiting www.boomersbaseball.com or by stopping by Schaumburg Boomers Stadium located at 1999 S. Springinsguth Road in Schaumburg.
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2012
- Grizzlies Winning Streak Snapped with Loss to Rascals - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Out-Slug Grizzlies 11-8 - River City Rascals
- Miners Lose Close One to Beach Bums - Southern Illinois Miners
- Four Run Eighth Propels Traverse City - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Slammers Bounce Back with 8-0 Shutout - Joliet Slammers
- Evansville Rallies Late But Falls Short at Normal - Evansville Otters
- Lee Pitches RiverHawks Past ThunderBolts - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Blanked at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Topple Evansville 5-1 - Normal CornBelters
- Longfellow shines in Lake Erie win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Catapano Frustrates Rippers - London Rippers
- Wild Things on Short End of 8-2 Decision - Washington Wild Things
- June 12 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher from Ohio State - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rascals Release New Concession Item "Arch Nemesis" - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.