Burke Named Mwl Pitcher of the WeekJune 11, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) - Peoria Chiefs
Burke took a perfect game into the sixth inning on Saturday against Kane County before allowing a leadoff single. He finished a career-high seven innings and struck out a career-high nine while allowing just two singles. Burke did not issue a walk in his seven shutout frames as the Chiefs won their fifth straight game 4-1 over the Cougars.
The left-hander was named to the MWL All-Star game last week and he is the first player in Chiefs history to make the All-Star team as both a position player and a pitcher. He was an All-Star outfielder in 2009. Burke heads into his final start of the first half on Thursday night in Beloit with a 2.13 ERA and a 2-2 record. In 14 outings, nine of them as a starter, he has struck out 48 batters in 67 2/3 innings. Burke has gone at least five innings in all nine starts and has gone six innings or more six times.
The last Chiefs pitcher to win the MWL Pitcher of the Year Award was Robert Hernandez for the week of June 4-10, 2007. The only other pitcher to win the award since the Chiefs changed back to the Cubs affiliation in 2005 was Sean Gallagher April 25 - May 1, 2005. Three Chiefs were honored with the Player of the Week Award in 2009: Josh Vitters, Jovan Rosa and Rebel Ridling. Vitters won the award in May before Rosa and Ridling collected back-to-back awards later in the summer. Ridling was the last Chiefs player overall to win the award when he did so August 2, 2009. Eric Patterson took home two Player of the Week Awards in 2005 while Aaron Sisk won it May 29, 2005.
Midwest League Stories from June 11, 2012
- Bandits Dominate Bees, 18-7 - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Extend Winning Streak to Seven With Walk-off Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Baldwin's First Homer Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Blow Lead, Get Swept - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits' Offense Leads Team to 18-7 Series Finale Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugs set franchise record with 44th win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bray Earns Win in Dragons 9-5 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Homer Four Times in 9-2 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Home Runs Doom Hawks in Series Finale - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Opening Frame Dooms Lake County - Lake County Captains
- Vettleson Tallies Three Hits in Loss to Dragons - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Homestand Notes for June 12-June 14 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Not a rerun, Rivera gives Wisconsin walkoff win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels take series finale from Clinton, 6-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Burke Named Mwl Pitcher of the Week - Peoria Chiefs
- Javier Avendano Transferred to Vancouver - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars Announce Partnership with Veteran Tickets Foundation - Kane County Cougars
- Rahmatulla Is First River Bandit to Win Player of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Captains End First Half of Season with Six-Game Home Stand - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Gameday for June 11 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Military Appreciation Day Tuesday, June 12 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.