Otters Surge Late for Comeback 10 Inning WinMay 19, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Evansville Otters
Trailing 3-0 for much of the game, Evansville was finally able to battle back in the contest with a pair of runs in the 8th inning.
Closer Ross Gusky then looked for the save in the ninth inning but allowed a one-out infield single to Alex Foltz and a game-tying RBI double from infielder Frank Martinez.
Gusky was able to prevent the Otters from walking off with a win in the ninth but fell victim to more trouble in the 10th.
Shortstop Jon Karcich led off with a double down the left field line and the Evansville hitters responded with back to back walks to load the bases. Lefty Shawn Smith then entered the game, but catcher Brandon Fowler could not grab one of the pitchers throws. The toss bounced off the catcher's glove, trickling away to the Otters' on deck circle, and giving Karcich enough time to score the winning run from third base without a throw.
Evansville and Washington have now split the first two games of the season (1-1) with the series-deciding game on Sunday at 6:05 p.m.
Both starters did not factor in to the decision. Left-hander Matt Crim allowed three runs (one earned) over five innings for Evansville. Righty Jhonny Montoya went one extra inning for Washington, striking out nine hitters, and not allowing a single run.
Pitcher Eric Massingham (1-0) records the win for the Otters. The right-hander worked around a first and third jam in the 10th without allowing a run. Ross Gusky (0-1) takes the loss. He allowed two runs (one earned) in one plus innings.
Shortstop Jon Karcich was 3 for 4 in the game for Evansville, scoring two runs, including the game winner. Pitcher Dan Marcacci (formally from USI) also had a notable performance, pitching 3 2/3 hitless innings and striking out seven batters.
The teams will meet again on Sunday at Historic Bosse Field as lefty Garrett Bullock will start for Evansville and right-hander Chris Smith will be on the hill for Washington.
Frontier League Stories from May 19, 2012
- Otters Surge Late for Comeback 10 Inning Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Defeat Rippers 9-5 in Offensive Fashion - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Held to Five Hits in 6-2 Loss - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Fall 4-3 in Extra Innings - Washington Wild Things
- Button bloop boosts RiverHawks in 6-2 win - Rockford RiverHawks
- Grizzlies Cruise Past Slammers for First Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Pick up First Win against Slammers - Joliet Slammers
- Big First Inning Too Much For Rippers - London Rippers
- Late rally falls short - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters drop 7-2 decision to Windy City - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers Hold off Lake Erie to Improve to 2-0 - Schaumburg Boomers
- Former RiverHawk Called up to Triple-A - Rockford RiverHawks
- Ex-RiverHawk in Triple-A - Rockford RiverHawks
- May 19 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Grand Slam Propels Beach Bums to a 6-4 Victory against Freedom - Florence Freedom
- Miners Win Season Opener - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.