Tides Battle Back to Beat Tribe 10-5May 4, 2012 - International League (IL) Indianapolis Indians
Things couldn't have started much better for the Indians or much worse for the Tides on Friday night. The Tribe grabbed an early lead thanks in large part to four Norfolk errors, including three alone in the third inning.
After DH Jeff Clement and shortstop Jordy Mercer led off the second with a base hit and hit-by-pitch, C Eric Fryer reached on a fielding error to load the bases. 2B Anderson Hernandez then took advantage by singling home both Clement and Mercer to give the Indians a 2-0 lead.
Further defensive miscues helped to extend the Indians advantage in the third as after a walk by 1B Jake Fox and base hit from Clement, Mercer reached on a miscue that allowed Fox to come around to score. Later in the frame, Fryer would reach on another error by Norfolk that again set the stage for Anderson Hernandez, who came through with his second two-run single of the contest to extend the Tribe's advantage to 5-0.
Despite the early defensive misplays, the Tides would not go away quietly as they went on to score 10 unanswered runs after the Indians jumped out to the early 5-0 lead. The Norfolk scoring began in the bottom of third on a clutch two-out bases loaded double from Robinson that cleared the bases and drew the Tides with-in two.
The Tides then evened the score with a two run-double off the bat of Tolleson in the fourth that plated 2B Matt Antonelli and CF Xavier Avery, who reached on a two-out walk and single earlier in the frame. Fittingly, Norfolk would take over the lead for good thanks to an Indians' error with two outs in the sixth inning that allowed 1B Joe Mahoney to come plateward.
Finally, Norfolk would pile on some insurance runs in the eighth as Mahoney began a four-run rally with a one-out infield single, before a hit-by-pitch from Antonelli and walk by Avery loaded the bases. Tolleson would then draw a bases loaded walk to force in a score, before a sacrifice fly from LF Jamie Hoffman and two-out two-run double from Hall plated three more scores to give the Tides the final 10-5 advantage.
The Norfolk offense was able to push across 10 unanswered runs thanks in large part to dominating work from their bullpen. Reliever Miguel Gonzalez (2.0 IP, 1 BB, 1 SO) allowed just a walk over two scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win of the season, before Stu Pomeranz (2.0 IP, 3 SO) struck out three over two hitless innings to earn his first save of 2012.
Tribe reliever Daniel McCutchen (3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 SO) suffered a tough luck loss to fall to 2-2 on the season as despite being quite effective over his three innings of work, he gave up an unearned run that ultimately pinned him with the defeat.
Neither starter figured in the final decision as Indians LHP Justin Wilson (4.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO) gave up five runs on six hits and three walks in just four innings, while Tides RHP Steve Johnson (5.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO) fell victim to his team's early miscues.
The Indians now return home to begin their longest homestand of the season, 10 contests that get underway with a matchup against Louisville on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. The Tribe is expected to send LHP Jeff Locke to the mound, while the Bats are scheduled to counter with RHP Chad Reineke.
The contest will be televised on HTSN (Hometown Sports and News), available via cable or over-the-air on digital channel 6.2. The game will also be carried on WNDE 1260 AM, WNDE.com and via iheartradio, a mobile application for iPhone, Blackberry and Android phones with Howard Kellman and Will Flemming on the call. The pre-game show begins at 6:45 p.m.
International League Stories from May 4, 2012
- Tides Battle Back to Beat Tribe 10-5 - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk rally from early deficit - Norfolk Tides
- Yankees strand 13 in shutout loss to Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- PawSox Earn a Win in Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights and 'Pigs Game Suspended on Friday - Charlotte Knights
- Durham Sends Louisville Packing 7-1, Wins Series - Durham Bulls
- Force Not Strong Enough on Star Wars Night, Hens Fall to Sox, 5-2 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Friday's Road Finale in Columbus Rained Out - Gwinnett Braves
- Friday's IronPigs-Knights Game Suspended Due to Rain - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs Shut out in Series Finale - Syracuse Chiefs
- O's Place Nolan Reimold on 15-Day DL, Luis Exposito Recalled from Norfolk - Norfolk Tides
- Updated Ticket Information for Sunday's Empire State Yankees Game at Frontier Field - Rochester Red Wings
- Tribe Return for Ten-Game Homestand - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Friday, May 4 at Empire State Yankees - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Notes - Syracuse at Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Add Ramirez, Blaquiere, Place James on DL - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets Select Contract of Bisons OF Vinny Rottino, Option RHP Chris Schwinden to Herd - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gwinnett Braves Homestand Highlights for May 5-14 - Gwinnett Braves
- Rochester Red Wings Announce Special Ticket Offer for Hard Ball Cafe - Rochester Red Wings
- Baseball Month in Rochester - May 4 - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.