Wheeling Earns Important Point in ReadingMarch 17, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Wheeling Nailers
The Nailers got on the scoreboard right away in the first period, lighting the lamp with a shorthanded goal. Matt Schepke took the puck in the right corner, before centering a pass to Peter Merth, who pounded a shot through from the top of the crease. Reading tied the score midway through the period, as Mickael Bedard took a pass from Matt Caruana, got past the Wheeling defense, and beat Nick Niedert high over the left shoulder.
Both teams exchanged goals in the second period as well, with both markers coming on the man advantage. The Royals netted the first tally, as Mickael Bedard pounced on a loose puck, and slipped in a backhander from low in the slot. Less than six minutes later, Wheeling pulled even, as Zack Torquato found Andrew Hotham at the right side of the crease. Hotham tapped in his eighth goal of the season, assisted by Torquato, as well as Chase Watson.
In the third period, Reading took the lead at the 3:33 mark, as Marc Cantin blasted in a slap shot from the left circle, while his team was playing shorthanded. However, that lead lasted just 3:25, as the Nailers responded. Chris Barton found Louke Oakley coming off of the bench, and the rookie forward ripped in a wrist shot from high in the slot, notching his first professional goal.
Oakley's marker sent the game into overtime, where the host Royals came away with the two points. Mickael Bedard took a pass from Yannick Riendeau, and completed his hat trick with a shot from the bottom of the right circle.
Mark Owuya picked up the win for Reading, making 37 saves on 40 shots, while Nick Niedert took the overtime loss for Wheeling, stopping 22 of the 26 shots he faced.
The Nailers will conclude their weekend on Sunday afternoon, when they visit the Elmira Jackals at 4:00. For ticket information or to purchase tickets call 304-234-GOAL (4625) or online at shop.wheelingnailers.com. You can now purchase Nailers game tickets on your smartphone by visiting m.wheelingnailers.com.
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2012
- Titans Halt Express, Losing Streak - Trenton Titans
- Gazley Pulls into Tie for ECHL's Scoring Lead - Elmira Jackals
- Wheeling Earns Important Point in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Toledo Downs Kalamazoo in a Shootout 4-3 - Toledo Walleye
- Road Warriors Turned Away In Gwinnett - Greenville Road Warriors
- Cyclones Sunk by Stingrays, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Topple Cyclones on Military Appreciation Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Case Returns to Idaho - Idaho Steelheads
- Defenseman Zach McKelvie Recalled to Providence - Reading Royals
- Edmonton Reassigns Goaltender Olivier Roy to Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Vs. Las Vegas Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Gameday: Military Appreciation Night Tonight Vs. Cincinnati - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Trenton Tonight - Chicago Express
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at South Carolina - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - March 17, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Florida - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - March 17 - ECHL
- 6,017 fans enjoy wild third period, Thunder three-goal rally and victory - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Still Fighting, Beat Utah 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Wild Third Ends 3-1 for Stockton - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.