Devils Comeback Falls Short in Glens FallsMarch 10, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Albany Devils
Trailing 4-1 with less than five minutes to play, the Devils chipped in two goals, but couldn't find the equalizer. Despite the loss, the Devils remain in playoff position with a 27-23-6-4 record. The Phantoms inched closer to the top eight in the Eastern Conference with a 29-28-2-1 mark.
"It's just what's on the line for both teams," said head coach Rick Kowalsky. "We were in the position they were in a couple weeks ago. We played with that urgency, desperation and just played hard hockey. We've had a long stretch of three-in-threes on the roads and got a lot of points out of it. Now these teams want the spot we are in; we have to play with that same urgency."
The Devils began their comeback with a goal by Nathan Perkovich from Brad Mills with 4:28 remaining. Then with goaltender Jeff Frazee on the bench, Steve Zalewski made it a one-goal game with 16 seconds on the clock.
Unfortunately, for the Devils it was too little too late.
"They got that third one and that fourth one right away, which hurt," Kowalsky said. "After that we said let's just focus on getting one. We would have preferred that one at the 15 minute mark instead of the fourth."
The Devils began with a tally only 1:52 into the game. Matt Anderson snipped a wrist shot from the right face-off dot with an assist to Mike Sislo. The goal was the first for Anderson since returning Friday after a 20-game hiatus.
From there Adirondack scored four-straight, including a pair from Oliver Lauridsen at 5:13 of the first and 17:04 of the second. Denis Hamel scored on the power play at 6:40 in the opening frame and Shane Harper also scored with the man advantage at 16:37 of the second.
"Points are hard to come by this time of year," Anderson said. "To fall behind on the road is a tall task to comeback from."
The Devils were halted on its four power-play opportunities, including a pair of five-on-threes.
"I thought it could have gone either way for about half the game," Kowalsky said. "We didn't capitalize on our power plays and I think if we got one somewhere in there it's a different game."
Jeff Frazee made 28 saves in his 27th appearance, while Adirondack's Michael Leighton had 31 saves for his 20th victory.
The Devils will try and get to .500 for this recent three-in-three weekend with a 3 p.m. outing at Syracuse. On Friday, the Devils lost 2-1 in a shootout against the Crunch. Fans can follow the action on 104.5 "The Team" ESPN Radio or online at ahllive.com.
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2012
- Admirals defeat Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Aeros beat the Grand Rapids Griffins - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs Spoil Pirates Hall of Fame Night - Portland Pirates
- Aeros Power Past Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Lose 4-1 to Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Beat Sound Tigers 5-4 in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sixth Straight Extra-Time Game Results in Win - Lake Erie Monsters
- Phantoms Blast Rivals Before SRO Crowd - Adirondack Phantoms
- Svendsen, Didomenico Help Hogs Over Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Monarchs center has record four-goal night - Manchester Monarchs
- Last-Minute Goal Propels Rampage Past Stars 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Repik Scores Late to Lead Rampage Past Stars, 4-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Falcons Beat Crunch 6-5 - Springfield Falcons
- IceCaps grind out 3-2 shootout victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Amerks Extend Home Win Streak to Six Games with 6-1 Rout of B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Chicago Knocks Charlotte out of Top Spot - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Comeback Falls Short in Glens Falls - Albany Devils
- Penguins Score SO Win Over Sound Tigers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Can't Overcome Falcons - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Shutout at Home 2-0 - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals Overcome Early Deficit for 14th Straight Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Wolves Seize First Place in Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Shutout Sharks 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Sign Forward Casey Haines to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Bulldogs Suffer 2-1 Overtime Loss to Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Andersson Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blake Parlett Re-Joins Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Columbus Blue Jackets Add Forward Dane Byers to the Roster on Emergency Recall - Springfield Falcons
- Barons to Try Their Hand at Rowing on the Oklahoma River - Oklahoma City Barons
- Gameday Preview - San Antonio at Texas - Texas Stars
- Falcons Set to Take on Crunch - Springfield Falcons
- Heat fall 4-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Rivermen Cool off Heat in 4-1 Win - Peoria Rivermen
- HEAT DISARMED BY RIVERMEN ON CANADIAN FORCES NIGHT - Abbotsford Heat
- Bulldogs Drop 5-0 Decision To Marlies , - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Edged by Stars in Overtime, 4-3 - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.