Cyclones' Rally Spoiled by Walleye, 4-3February 11, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Cincinnati Cyclones
The Walleye raced out to a 2-0 lead as Kyle Rogers and Paul Zanette each buried goals past Cyclones net minder Chet Pickard (ND, 11 saves, 9-10-0-1) in the first 10:51 of the game. Cyclones forward Dan Eves temporarily cut the Toledo lead in half by potting a goal for the sixth straight game at 17:39, making it 2-1. However, on a Walleye power play, David Toews tipped home Kyle Page's point shot at the 18:31 mark to give his team a 3-1 edge after 20 minutes.
Toledo extended their advantage to 4-1 at the 6:54 mark in questionable fashion; after a Joey Martin shot had apparently rung off the crossbar and was waved off by the referee, they reviewed the play and chose to overturn the call and give him the tally. Cincinnati answered back a few minutes later, at 11:52, as Mathieu Aubin fed Justin Vaive through the slot and slid in his fifth goal of the season to once again cut the Walleye lead in half at 4-2. In the final few minutes of the middle frame, the Cyclones were given a five-on-three power play but were unable to beat Toledo goaltender Alec Richards (W, 22 saves, 3-0-0); so at the end of two periods, the hometown Walleye held a 4-2 cushion.
Late in the third period, Cincinnati pulled within a goal when Taylor Aronson sent a point blast through Richards at 15:45. Then with just over a minute to play, Toledo's Joey Ryan was given a boarding penalty - giving the Cyclones a late chance with the man-advantage. Unfortunately, they once again came up empty as the Walleye snuffed out a would-be rally and held onto a 4-3 win.
The Cyclones will return to U.S. Bank Arena next Thursday, February 16 when they welcome in the Elmira Jackals for the only time in 2011-12 at 7:30pm. It will be another Thirsty Thursday, with $1 PBR and Miller High Life flowing all night long. Plus, fans are encouraged to wear red apparel for the first-ever Cyclones Red Out! Secure your seats now by calling 513.421.PUCK or log on to CyclonesHockey.com. Fans can also get the latest team updates throughout the season on Facebook and Twitter (@CincyCyclones).
ECHL Stories from February 11, 2012
- Aces' Trip Ends with 5-1 Loss to Steelheads - Alaska Aces
- Eagles Win 4th Straight After Weekend Sweep Against Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Settle for Weekend Split in Ontario - Utah Grizzlies
- Two-Goal Slips Through Reading's Grasp in Loss to Elmira - Reading Royals
- Nailers Top Titans; Bohmback Scores Twice - Trenton Titans
- Galivan Leads Glads to 3-1 Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Greenville wins 5-2 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Beca's Hat Trick Leads Everblades Over Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Greenville Gets Revenge - Kalamazoo Wings
- Jackals Rally in Second Period, Hold off Royals 3-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Express See Five-Game Win Streak Snapped by Stingrays, 3-2 - Chicago Express
- Cyclones' Rally Spoiled by Walleye, 4-3 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Delmas Makes 35 Saves in 4-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder at Colorado Eagles - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Offense Regains Some Firepower - Ontario Reign
- Justin Bowers Back to Greenville - Greenville Road Warriors
- Nolan Becomes 485th ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- Condors Vs. Las Vegas Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - February 11 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Episode 30 Features Eric Ballard and Craig Bommer - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - February 11, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Game Preview: Express at Gwinnett Tonight - Chicago Express
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Reading - Elmira Jackals
- Stingrays Gameday: Bobblehead Night and Wounded Warrior Night Tonight Against Everblades - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - February 11 - ECHL
- Thunder defeated by Colorado - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Trail Grizzlies in 2-1 Loss - Ontario Reign
- Condors Clip Wranglers 2-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Beat Ontario 2-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Upend First Place Wranglers, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Aces Score Late to Top Steelheads, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Aces Cash in Late for 3-2 Win in Idaho - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.