Nolan leads Lugnuts over Bowling GreenMay 20, 2011 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
Nolan doubled to start a one-out rally in the first, and came around to score on an RBI triple by Marcus Knecht. Knecht scored on a Bowling Green error to give the Lugnuts an early 2-0 lead.
Starting pitcher Egan Smith had given up just two hits entering the fifth inning, but then allowed a home run and a double before being removed from the game due to injury.
Marcus Walden (Win, 1-0) allowed his inherited runner to score, tying the game, before stiffening for 2 1/3 scoreless innings.
The Lugnuts answered the Hot Rods' two runs with two of their own off Bowling Green starter C.J. Riefenhauser (Loss, 3-4) in the bottom of the fifth. After Markus Brisker singled, stole second, and moved to third on a Kyle Holloway throwing error, Nolan drove him home with an RBI single. Jake Marisnick then smoked an RBI double to left field, making the score 4-2.
Lansing added another run in the seventh when Gustavo Pierre knocked a leadoff home run to left field, the shortstop's second homer of the year.
The three-run lead was all that the Lugnuts' bullpen would need, with Walden handing the ball to Danny Barnes (Save, 3) for the final two frames.
The win puts Lansing and Bowling Green in a tie for second place in the Eastern division of the Midwest League.
On Saturday at Cooley Law School Stadium, the Lugnuts host the first of three Auto-Owners Insurance Bobblehead Giveaways of the season with postgame LAFCU Fireworks. In the starting matchup, Lugs righty Daniel Webb (3-3, 6.31) duels with Hot Rods right-hander Victor Mateo (3-2, 4.28).
Tickets are available for purchase online at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from May 20, 2011
- Cougars Outlast Beloit in 13 Innings - Kane County Cougars
- Mittelstaedt's homer makes the difference - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bandits take advantage of five Kernel errors on its way to a 7-4 victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Fall to South Bend, 4-0 - Great Lakes Loons
- Timber Rattlers Slither Past Bees For 4-3 Win - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Win 3-1 Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Score Late, Defeat Kings - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains battle back - Dayton Dragons
- Hagens Leads Hawks to First Shutout of 2011 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Captains Mount Comeback to Slay Dragons - Lake County Captains
- Eichhorn's Perfect Start Turns Sour In 8-1 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Nolan leads Lugnuts over Bowling Green - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps explode late in 8-1 win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Griffin Receives Promotion - Burlington Bees
- San Diego Trip Deadline Approaching - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Scott Gracey Promoted, John Anderson to Lansing - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars Receive 18-Year Old Nicaraguan Prospect - Kane County Cougars
- Carlos Lugo joins Kernels; Carlos Ramirez to Inland Empire - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Gameday for Friday, May 20 - Dayton Dragons
- Injury Brings Ortiz to Hawks - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Hometown Heroes Celebration Night Tomorrow at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Sweep Marathon Twinbill - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.