Sharks Deliver on their Guarantee, Beat Moose, 5-3January 29, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) Worcester Sharks
John McCarthy's third period goal turned out to be the game-winner and Alex Stalock came up big stopping Guillaume Desbiens on a penalty shot with 2:47 remaining in the third period to secure the victory.
Much like Wednesday night, the Moose came out flying. Unlike Wednesday night, they were able to turn the quick start into an early advantage just 53 seconds into the first period. A two-on-one opportunity allowed Guillaume Desbiens to slide a one-time pass across to Mario Bliznak (6) who beat a helpless Alex Stalock, giving the Moose a 1-0 lead. The Sharks found their skating legs in the minutes after the goal and responded. At 13:21, Mike Moore's shot caromed off a maze of bodies and Brandon Mashinter (14) backhanded one past Cory Schneider to knot the game at one apiece. Dan DaSilva picked up the other assist on Mashinter's second goal in as many games. Late in the period, Manitoba added the go-ahead goal when Desbiens (10) streaked down the right-wing and snapped one past Stalock. Mike Keane earned the assist. Manitoba outshot Worcester, 14-13.
The Sharks, for the second straight game, came out for the second period energized and knotted the game up at 2-2, 1:13 into the period. Frazer McLaren (2) was left all alone in the slot and wristed one past the blocker of Schneider. Mashinter collected the assist. The physical play picked up from then on and the Sharks were the beneficiary of a goaltender interference call against Matt Pettinger which gave the Sharks a man advantage. They made sure they would not let the opportunity go to waste as a beautiful series of passes between Ferriero and Jamie McGinn allowed McGinn to pick up goal number six on the season and the Sharks took a 3-2 10:42 into the period. Later in the frame, Andrew Desjardins dropped the gloves and dropped Taylor Ellington. The Sharks held the shot advantage in the period, 10-7.
A wild third started four minutes into the period when Travis Ramsey rang a shot off the far post behind Stalock. Things really picked up at the 15:26 mark when McCarthy (8) collected a loose rebound off a Michael Wilson drive and scored which made the score, 4-2. The Sharks would need it as Brian Salcido (7) blasted one home off a faceoff a minute later, cutting the deficit to just one. Just seconds later, Desbiens was awarded a penalty shot, but Stalock came up big and kept the score at 4-3. Dwight Helminen added an empty net goal and the Sharks polished off the Moose, 5-3. The Moose outshot the Sharks, 11-10.
Notes: Three Stars: (3) John McCarthy (GWG) (2) Guillaume Desbiens (1-1-2), (1) Brandon Mashinter (1-1-2) ...Ryan Vesce and Joe Callahan were out of the lineup due to injuries....Alex Stalock had 29 saves in net for Worcester for his league-leading 26th win... Former BC star Cory Schneider made 28 saves in the losing effort...Final shots were 33-32 in favor of the Sharks... Benn Ferriero now has points in three straight games (1-3-4)....Stalock has now denied two penalty shots this season ... Brandon Mashinter has scored in two straight games (2-1-3)...Danny Groulx played in consecutive game number 154 and has a FIVE game point streak (0-8-8)...Before the game, Logan Couture was sent back to Worcester, but did not arrive in time to play.
On Sunday, January 31st, Chaske Spencer, who plays Sam Uley in The Twilight Saga: New Moon, will appear and sign autographs at the Sharks game vs. the Lowell Devils at the DCU Center at 3:05p.m. Chaske will be signing autographs for fans throughout the Sharks game. Order the Werewolf Pack today which includes 4 tickets and 2 photos of Chaske for only $60. The ONLY way to guarantee your autograph is with a bracelet, for only $5 more per person.
Now midway through their fourth season in Worcester, the Sharks look forward to another exciting season highlighted by the improvements of the ice surface at the DCU Center and the reduction of season ticket prices! Sharks fans may secure their 2009-10 season tickets today by calling 508-929-0500. Some of the exclusive benefits for full season ticket holders will include:
-Guaranteed same seat for all 40 home dates and playoff home games at the DCU Center
-Significant savings off box office ticket prices
-Priority access to purchase tickets to DCU Center events (subject to availability)
Season ticket packages, group tickets, and individual tickets for the 2009-10 season are on sale now by contacting the Worcester Sharks Office at 508.929.0500 or by crashing the net at www.sharksahl.com.
All games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG, as well as online through AHL Live, by following the link on the Sharks website at www.sharksahl.com.
American Hockey League Stories from January 29, 2010
- Inspired Monsters net convincing win - Lake Erie Monsters
- P-Bruins Fall To Monarchs 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Texas spanks Abbotsford - Texas Stars
- Stars streak to 6-1 win over Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Shut the Door on Houston - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rivermen Fall Short in 4-2 Loss to IceHogs - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Rally Over Rampage - Syracuse Crunch
- Rockford improves to 3-2-1-1 against Peoria on the season with the win - Rockford IceHogs
- Milwaukee Admirals Shutout Houston Aeros 2-0 - Houston Aeros
- Reddox's OT Goal Leads Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Walker Way To Shutout Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage relinquishes leads before falling to Syracuse in shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Blanked by Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Pirates top Sound Tigers in shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils defeat Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- River Rats slide by Amerks for win - Rochester Americans
- Backlund Backstops Phantoms To 2-1 Win Over Binghamton - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Deliver on their Guarantee, Beat Moose, 5-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Moose lose 5-3, skid extends to six - Manitoba Moose
- Rats hold off Amerks - Albany River Rats
- Admirals Rally But Fall in Overtime to Falcons - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Take Down Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Pirates Enroth Stymies S-Tigers in the Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Wolves white-wash Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Canadiens Recall Yannick Weber From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Coyotes Recall Boedker From San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Trevor Baker To Be Inducted Into Rivermen Hall Of Fame - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Set To Drop The Puck On Lung Cancer - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Broadcaster Pete Michaud Again Honored - Norfolk Admirals
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Falcons Host Admirals Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Game Night: Amerks Take On Rats At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Abdelkader Assigned To Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Welcome Wolves And IceHogs This Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.