Admirals Thwart Bears' Winning StreakJanuary 13, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) Norfolk Admirals
The Bears got on the board first 13:24 into the game. John Carlson sent a wrist shot from the right point through traffic. The puck was deflected at the bottom of the right circle near the goalmouth by Kyle Wilson and it eluded the outstretched left leg of Admirals goaltender Dustin Tokarski.
The Admirals stormed back to take the lead in the second period. Norfolk tied it at 1-1 just 3:14 into the frame. Justin Keller sent a shot from the bottom of the right faceoff circle that went through the leg pads of Hershey goaltender Braden Holtby.
The home team took a 2-1 lead with 4:01 remaining in the second stanza. Kevin Quick intercepted a Hershey clearing attempt at the right point and sent a pass to Juraj Simek at the right half wall. Simek spun around a defender and skated into the right circle. He fired a wrist shot from the right faceoff dot that sailed over the left shoulder of Holtby for Simek's 11th goal of the season.
Norfolk doubled its lead just 3:22 into the final frame. Keller sent a shot from the right corner that caromed off of Holtby into the slot. Ryan Craig found the rebound and sent a quick wrist shot over the blocker of Holtby for his 13th goal of the season.
However, the Bears roared back to tie the game with a pair of goals in the next four minutes. Keith Aucoin sent a backhand pass from the slot to Patrick McNeill in the right circle. McNeill sent a shot past the glove of a diving Tokarski at 4:21 to cut Norfolk's lead to one goal.
McNeill then assisted on Hershey's third goal at 7:33. McNeill sent a pass from the high slot to Alexandre Giroux at the top of the right circle. Giroux one-timed the shot through traffic and past Tokarski for a power play goal.
It appeared as if the game was headed to overtime. However, Mark Parrish picked off a pass near the Hershey blue line and started toward the Bears goal. He teed up a powerful slap shot from the high slot that hit Holtby in the right shoulder and slowly trickled over the goal line with seven seconds remaining. The play stood up as the game-winner as the Admirals won the ensuing faceoff and cleared the puck into the Hershey zone as time expired.
Dustin Tokarski (31 shots, 28 saves) earned the victory. Braden Holtby (30 shots, 26 saves) saw his personal nine-game winning streak end with just his second regulation setback of the season.
Norfolk was 0-2 on the power play. Hershey was 1-4.
The Admirals will square off against the Adirondack Phantoms on Friday and Saturday nights at Scope. The puck drops at 7:15 p.m. both nights.
Join us for Norfolk Public Schools Night on Friday. Parents, students and staff of Norfolk Public Schools can get tickets for just $5 by calling the Admirals at (757) 640-1212. Please note that the discounted tickets are only available for advance purchase. Tickets must be purchased by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday.
Also on Friday, the first 3,000 fans through the gates will receive 2009-10 Admirals playing cards, courtesy of John's Tax Service and Sinclair Communications, parent company of 93.7 BOB-FM, 96-X, US-106, WNIS AM-790, and WTAR 850-AM.
On Saturday, the Admirals and Susan G. Komen for the Cure will hold "Pink in the Rink." This third annual event will seek to educate and raise awareness about breast cancer while also raising monies for the Tidewater Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
Events leading up to and during the game include a breast cancer informational session, survivor participation during game night, "Hockey 101- A Clinic for Women" and a silent auction for player-autographed Tampa Bay Lightning items. Even the ice will be pink.
Special $12 Red Level Tickets will be available for the game with a portion of the proceeds going to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Tickets may be purchased through Susan G. Komen for the Cure online at komentidewater.org or by calling (757) 490-7794. Tickets for groups of 10 or more people may also be ordered by calling the Admirals at (757) 640-1212.
For a complete schedule and details of the promotions, please visit norfolkadmirals.com or call (757) 640-1212.
To purchase tickets to any Admirals game, you may visit the Scope Box Office weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., visit any Ticketmaster outlet, call Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000 or visit Ticketmaster online at ticketmaster.com. Don't miss a minute of the action by purchasing your 2009-10 season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
1. Mark Parrish - NOR
2. Justin Keller - NOR
3. Alexandre Giroux - HER
NOTES ... The Admirals ended Hershey's franchise-record 12-game winning streak by handing the Bears their first loss since a 3-0 setback at Albany on December 11 ... Juraj Simek has points in seven of his last ten games (7G, 1A) and goals in six of his last ten games (7G) ... Lukas Krajicek has points in five of his last eight games (0G, 5A) ... With two assists, Chris Lawrence notched his first multiple-point game since his rookie season on November 30, 2007 at Albany (1G, 1A) ... Scratches: RW Martins Karsums, D Scott Jackson, G Riku Helenius ... Attendance: 3,190.
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2010
- Rockford IceHogs Hold On To Defeat Houston Aeros 3-2 - Houston Aeros
- Bulldogs Dropped By Monsters 5-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Beat Bridgeport 3-2 To Sweep Season Series - Adirondack Phantoms
- Phantoms Edge Sound Tigers In Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Thwart Bears' Winning Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Collect OT Win At Worcester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Get Clipped In Overtime By Falcons 4-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Can't Catch Crunch 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Crunch Season-Long Win Streak Hits Three - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Recalls Fabian Brunnstrom - Texas Stars
- Michael Busto Reassigned To Elmira Jackals - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Senators Recall Daugavins And Re-Assign St. Pierre To Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- P-Bruins Add AHL Forward John Lammers - Providence Bruins
- Matthias Gets The Call; Heads Back To Panthers - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Learn Tough Lesson From Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Make Roster Moves - Abbotsford Heat
- RBC Future Stars Selected For 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Wolves School Admirals, 7-2, In Day Game - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Release Sharrow From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Ottawa Senators Relieve Goaltending Coach Eli Wilson Of His Duties - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Recall Goaltender Dan Taylor - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- River Rats Announce First Class - Albany River Rats
- Hat Trick Of Inductees To Enter Amerks Hall Of Fame - Rochester Americans
- Moose Top Heat 4-3 In OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Lawrence Nets Overtime Winner In Abbotsford - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.