Admirals Claw Past Monarchs In ShootoutNovember 18, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Norfolk Admirals
The Admirals sit in second place in the American Hockey League's East Division and are now 2-1-1-0 on their season-high eight-game road trip with the fifth stop coming Friday night in Lowell against the Devils.
After a scoreless opening period, the Admirals took a 1-0 lead 11:45 into the second stanza. Justin Keller found a loose puck behind the goal line defended by Manchester goaltender Jonathan Bernier. Keller emerged from behind the net near Bernier's right skate and scored his fourth goal of the season with a shot between the netminder's leg pads.
The Monarchs struck back six minutes later as a power play expired. An attempted pass in the slot was blocked and the puck ricocheted to former Admiral Brandon Segal along the goal line between the net and the left corner. Segal banked a shot into the goal off Norfolk netminder Riku Helenius at 17:44 to tie the game at 1-1.
The Admirals out-shot the Monarchs 12-5 in the third period and 4-2 in overtime but were stonewalled by Bernier.
In the shootout, Juraj Simek and Blair Jones scored in the third and fourth rounds, respectively, while Helenius stopped all four shots he faced to give the Admirals a 2-0 shootout decision and a 2-1 victory in the game.
Riku Helenius (22 shots, 21 saves) earned the victory. Jonathan Bernier (35 shots, 34 saves) was saddled with the shootout loss.
Norfolk was 0-2 on the power play. Manchester was 0-3.
The Admirals will play game five of their season-long eight-game road trip against the Lowell Devils Friday night at 7:00. All Admirals games can be heard on STAR 1310-AM and star1310.com. They can also be seen on a pay-per-view basis on ahllive.com.
The Admirals will return to Scope on Friday and Saturday, November 27 and 28, to square off against the Albany River Rats. The puck drops both nights at 7:15 p.m. On November 27, the first 2,500 fans through the gates will receive a free Admirals mousepad courtesy of Your Community PhoneBook. For details, please visit norfolkadmirals.com.
1. Juraj Simek - NOR
2. Jonathan Bernier - MCH
3. Brandon Segal - MCH
*NOTES*... The Admirals are 10-8-1-0 for 21 points through 19 games this season and are in second place in the AHL's East Division. Through 19 games last season, Norfolk was 5-10-1-3 for 14 points and in sixth place in the East Division... Norfolk picked up its seventh road victory in its 12th road game of the campaign. Last season, the Admirals did not earn its seventh road victory until its 25th road game... Norfolk became just the second team to defeat the Atlantic Division-leading Monarchs at home this season in Manchester's ninth home game... After becoming the last AHL team to play an overtime game last Saturday in Albany, the Admirals played their third straight overtime game tonight... The last time Norfolk played three or more consecutive overtime games was a four-game stretch from January 23 - February 1, 2008... Blair Jones has points in five of his last seven games (3G, 7A)... Scratches: D Kevin Quick, D Ethan Graham, LW Mark Parrish, C Mitch Fadden... Attendance: 3,614.
American Hockey League Stories from November 18, 2009
- Hogs Strike First, But Stars Shine In 3-1 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Aeros Defeat Peoria 1-0 - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Rally For 4-3 Win, Move Into Third Place - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Spoil Captain Bagnall's Debut - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Recap: Aeros Steal 1-0 Win Away From Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolf Pack Toppled in Shootout - Connecticut Whale
- Texas Takes Down Rockford 3-1 - Texas Stars
- Devils Stunned By Falcons, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Red Hot Ryan Keller Leads B-Sens To 2-1 Shootout Victory Over Hartford - Binghamton Senators
- Backlund Blanks Marlies In Glens Falls 2-0 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Pirates Outlast Sharks 5-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Rats Crunch Syracuse 5-2 - Albany River Rats
- Admirals Claw Past Monarchs In Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- Mancari Scores Twice To Lead Pirates To Win - Portland Pirates
- Crunch Go Down in Capital City - Syracuse Crunch
- Three New Members Join Front Office Team - Peoria Rivermen
- Amerks Also Mean 'Business' Off The Ice - Rochester Americans
- Hogs Seek Vengeance As Stars Return, Bickell Recalled - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks And Zweigle's Partner For A 'Hot Dog' Of A Deal - Rochester Americans
- Worcester Sharks Host Annual "Hat & Mittens Holiday Skate With The Sharks" Sunday - Worcester Sharks
- Extremely Limited Number Of Tickets Remain For Friday's Game - Binghamton Senators
- Houston Aeros 2nd Annual Chilly's Pet Pals Game Sunday - Houston Aeros
- Anaheim Reassigns Beleskey, Bodie & Festerling To Toronto - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Sign Left Wing Bates Battaglia - Syracuse Crunch
- Hurricanes Recall Justin Peters From Albany - Albany River Rats
- Rivermen Sign Matt Stefanishion To PTO - Peoria Rivermen
- Minnesota Wild Recalls RW Danny Irmen - Houston Aeros
- Feast On This: Wolves Food Drive Fights Hunger - Chicago Wolves
- CJ's House Of Bounce Named Official Al's Pals Kids Club Party Zone - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Canadiens Assign Mathieu Carle To The Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- NHL First Round Draft Pick Assigned To Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- It's Peanut Butter - Jelly Time - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Set To Host The Devils Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Bounce Bulldogs 4-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Bulldogs Can't Handle The Heat In 4-1 Loss - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.