Ashton Selected For Team WHLOctober 29, 2009 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Lethbridge Hurricanes
All three regional league teams will be led by members of Team Canada's National Junior Team coaching staff including Head Coach Willie Desjardins who will serve as the Head Coach for Team WHL. Team Canada Associate Coach Dave Cameron and Assistant Coach Steve Spott will lead Team OHL behind the bench, with Assistant Coach André Tourigny serving as Head Coach for Team QMJHL.
This will be Ashton's first opportunity to play for Team WHL and the first time in four seasons that the Hurricanes will have only one representative at the event. Last season, Zach Boychuk and Colton Sceviour received invites for the 2008 ADT Canada Russia Challenge in Swift Current and Prince Albert. For Sceviour it will be his 1st selection while Boychuk represented Team WHL for the third straight season.
Ashton signed an NHL Entry level contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning this fall after attending his first pro camp. In the summer, the 6'3" 210 pound skill power forward became the Hurricanes third first round NHL Draft pick in the last two years when he was selected by Tampa Bay (29th overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. This marked the first time in club history that the Canes had a player chosen in the first round of the NHL draft in back to back seasons. Ashton led all Hurricanes with 30 goals and 10 power play goals last season. He was the recipient of the Hurricanes Top Draft Prospect Award, the Hurricanes Three Stars Award and co-winner of the Hurricanes Community Relations Award. Last year, CHL teams defeated Team Russia in five of the six games in the series before Team Canada captured their fifth straight Gold Medal at the World Junior Championships.
The 2009 SUBWAY© Super Series is supported by CHL associate sponsors, Bank of Montreal and CCM. All games will be broadcast nationally on Rogers Sportsnet with the two QMJHL games shown on RDS.
For more information about the event and tickets please visit www.subwaysuperseries.com
Western Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2009
- Cowen And Koper Named To Team WHL - Spokane Chiefs
- Two Oil Kings Will Compete In The Subway Super Series - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Brett Ponich To Play For Team WHL In The 2009 Subway Super Series - Portland Winterhawks
- Two Pats To Play In Subway Super Series - Regina Pats
- Raiders To Wear Special Jerseys For Cancer Awareness Night Tomorrow - Prince Albert Raiders
- WHL This Week: Looking Ahead... - WHL
- Cougars & Hubbell Designer Goldsmiths Announce Player Of The Month - Prince George Cougars
- Myers to stick with Sabres of the NHL - Kelowna Rockets
- Kelowna players named to Team WHL in Subway Super Series - Kelowna Rockets
- Shinnimin To Compete For Team WHL At Subway Super Series - Tri-City Americans
- Brett Connolly To Take Part In 2009 Subway Super Series - Prince George Cougars
- Pair Of Broncos Make Team WHL - Swift Current Broncos
- Ashton Selected For Team WHL - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blades Send Two To Subway Super Series - Saskatoon Blades
- Team WHL Rosters Announced For Subway Super Series - WHL
- Western Canada Under-16 Challenge Cup Begins Today - WHL
- Wheat Kings Edge The Chiefs - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Open BC Road Trip With 4-1 Loss In Kelowna - Calgary Hitmen
- Everett Takes Down Kootenay, 4-1 - Everett Silvertips
- Gore's 44 Saves Snap Americans Win Streak - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets Defeat Calgary - Kelowna Rockets
- Beach Has Hat Trick, Chiefs Drop Decision - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.