P-Bruins Sean Curry Named Rbk/AHL Player of the WeekDecember 17, 2007 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Providence Bruins Press Release
Curry, 25, began the week on Wednesday by contributing to Providence's 6-5 shootout win over the Lowell Devils with his third multiple-point game of the year. The defenseman notched a late third-period power play goal to give the P-Bruins a 5-4 lead at the time, along with a first period assist on Matt Lashoff's third goal of the year.
Two nights later, the Burnsville, Minnesota, native tallied another multi-point contest with a pair of man-advantage goals, including the game-winner, in a 4-1 victory versus the visiting Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Curry's goals, along with a plus-one rating, earned him the top star of the game. His second score, the defenseman's sixth of the year, secured him a new career-high in goals.
Curry took his act to the road on Saturday, producing a third consecutive multiple-point game with a goal and an assist in the P-Bruins' 6-1 win over the Devils in Massachusetts. The goal was the seventh for the sixth-year pro and the assist, his final point of the week, came on Pascal Pelletier's third period power play goal. The assist also provided Curry with a new career-high in points with 14 in just 24 games. The defenseman was again among the three stars of the game, receiving the third star with his two points and plus-two rating.
On Sunday, a 4-1 home win for Providence against the Houston Aeros, Curry was held scoreless but still provided an impact with a plus-three rating.
For the week, Curry, a third-year P-Bruin after three seasons with the Lowell Lock Monsters, had six points and a plus-five rating as Providence out-scored its opponents 20-8 over four victories. On the season, Curry's plus-11 rating ties him for fifth among all AHL blue-liners.
In recognition of his achievement, Curry will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming P-Bruins home game.
Other nominees for the Rbk/AHL Player of the Week award include Albany River Rats center Brent Hughes, Bridgeport left wing Jeff Tambellini, Chicago Wolves center Kevin Doell, Grand Rapids Griffins right wing Brett Engelhardt, Hershey Bears left wing Grant Potulny, Houston center Steve Kelly, Lake Erie Monsters goaltender Mike Wall, Lowell center Petr Vrana, Manitoba Moose center Colby Genoway, Milwaukee Admirals goaltender Pekka Rinne, Norfolk Admirals goaltender Karri Ramo, Peoria Rivermen goaltender Chris Beckford-Tseu, Quad City Flames goaltender Matt Keetley, Rochester Americans right wing Patrick Kaleta, Rockford Ice Hogs center Martin St. Pierre, San Antonio Rampage left wing Matt Murley, Syracuse Crunch left wing Joakim Lindstrom, Toronto Marlies center Darryl Boyce, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins goaltender John Curry and Worcester Sharks center Tomas Plihal.
Providence, the top team in the AHL with a record of 23-4-2 and 48 points, plays a pair of games this week, both against Lowell. The home-and-home series begins Friday at the Dunkin Donuts Center for David Krejci Bobblehead Night at 7:05 p.m. The bobbleheads are courtesy of WEEI, NBC 10, 2nd Time Around Sports and Getty Petrolium. Providence Bruins Promotional Nights are made possible by Dunkin' Donuts and your New England Dodge Dealers. The game is also Providence's final home game before January 11. Saturday, the P-Bruins return to the Tsongas Arena to face the Devils at 7:05 p.m., the team's last game before Christmas. Information on P-Bruins season ticket packages and individual tickets for the 2007-08 regular season can be obtained by calling the team ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or by logging on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.
American Hockey League Stories from December 17, 2007
- Portland Pirates Weekly Report - Portland Pirates
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Host AHL Powers Chicago and Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Splits Four Games In Flu-Filled Week - Albany River Rats
- Kings Activate LaBarbera; Assign Quick To Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Adam Cracknell Rejoins Wranglers - Abbotsford Heat
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Report - San Antonio Rampage
- Bulldogs Travel To Winnipeg For Two Weekend Tilts With The Moose - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Weekly Notes - Adirondack Phantoms
- Coyotes Re-Assign Redenbach To Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Marlies' Simon Gamache Selected For Spengler Cup - Toronto Marlies
- Stars Sign Beaudoin to PTO, Recal Silverthorn - Iowa Chops
- Callahan recalled to New York, Moore reassigned to Hartford - Connecticut Whale
- Lowell Able to Grab Points Despite Winless Week - Albany Devils
- Flames Finish Road Trip With 3-1-0-1 Mark - Abbotsford Heat
- P-Bruins Sean Curry Named Rbk/AHL Player of the Week - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- 2008 AHL All-Star balloting underway - AHL
- Aubin To Join Hamilton; Desjardins, Gleed And Desharnais Sent To Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- "Tour with the Monsters" Postponed Tonight in Parma - Lake Erie Monsters
- Canucks re-assign MacIntyre to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Sports Group To Spread Holiday Cheer - Rochester Americans
- Bruins' Curry named Rbk/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Stars Split Road Trip - Iowa Chops
- Dollar Dogs and Free Ski Hats This Weekend - Lake Erie Monsters
- Aeros weekly - Houston Aeros
- Amerks Prepare For Three In Four Nights - Rochester Americans
- Moose Split Pair In Week 10 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Rockford Moves Into First Place In The West - Rockford IceHogs
- Binghamton Senators weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Lowell Reschedules December 19th Game Vs. Sharks - Worcester Sharks
- Tic Tac Toe, Sharks Win Three In A Row - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals Hope to Meet Goals on Road Trip - Norfolk Admirals
- Lowell Reschedules December 19 Game With Worcester - Albany Devils
- Springfield Falcons Team/Player Notes - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.