Yellow Horn's Streak Hits 14 In Allen's Loss At Texas
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, Texas- The first place Allen Americans fell to the Texas Brahmas 4-1 tonight in front of 2,458 at the Nytex Sports Centre in North Richland Hills, TX. Despite the loss, the Americans still hold a 15 point lead in the race for the Berry Conference crown over the second place Brahmas.
Brahmas forward Chad Woollard scored the lone goal of the first period 6:48 into the frame after breaking into the zone and firing a wrister past Chris Whitley. Whitley finished the opening frame with 11 saves while Brahmas netminder Wayne Savage stopped 10.
The Americans came out firing to start the second period and would knot the score at 1 at the 13:39 mark when Jonathon Zion deflected Colton Yellow Horn's feed past Savage. The goal was Zion's fifth of the season.
Calin Wild's tally with 2:55 remaining in the middle frame restored the Brahmas lead and gave Texas a 2-1 advantage through forty minutes of play.
The third period saw the Brahmas extend their lead to 3-1 with 3:39 remaining when Mick Lawrence's shot found it's way into the back of the net.
With Chris Whitley pulled in favor of the extra attacker, Brahmas captain Jason Deitsch ended any hopes of an Americans comeback with an empty-net goal with 2:42 remaining in regulation.
Whitley finished the night with 26 saves on 29 shots and is now 18-8-1 on the season.
Colton Yellow Horn extended his point streak to 14 games with the primary assist on Zion's second period goal. Yellow Horn has registered 20 points (10g, 10a) during the streak.
Allen falls to 39-13-2 with the loss but continues to lead the Central Hockey League with 80 points.
The Americans will now travel to Bossier to take on the Mudbugs tomorrow night at 7:05 PM, before returning home to the Allen Event Center for a Sunday afternoon tilt with the Odessa Jackalopes at 2:05 PM. Tickets for Sunday's game can be purchased by calling 972-912-1000 or by visiting www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 4, 2011
- Yellow Horn's Streak Hits 14 In Allen's Loss At Texas - Allen Americans
- Killer Bees Can't Catch Eagles, Fall 5-4 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Beech, Robinson Help Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Texas takes down Allen - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Munce, Mudbugs Shut Bucks Out Again - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Lutes scores winning goal in overtime for Gems - Dayton Gems
- PrairieThunder Dominates Fort Wayne 6-2 on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Nolan and Jardine's heroics lift Mavs to second straight postseason - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks Outlast Tulsa on Thinel's Six-Point Night - Odessa Jackalopes
- Nolan, Mavericks Blank Mallards 1-0 - Quad City Mallards
- Bucks Blanked by Bugs Again - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Sundogs Awarded 2012 CHL All-Star Game - CHL
- Sundogs Awarded 2012 Central Hockey League All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Dayton Gems Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Game Day - RiverKings at Arizona - Mississippi RiverKings
- McLean Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- RiverKings Partner with Hernando Parks and Recreation - Mississippi RiverKings
- "Pack the House Night" benefit scheduled for March 26 to help teen cancer patient - Dayton Gems
- Shots from the Point for March 4, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allen Americans Stories
- Americans Partner with be at the Game, LTD for Fan Cutouts
- Americans Sign Forward Colton Heffley
- ECHL's Allen Americans Select ImagineAR for Fan Engagement & Sponsorship Programs
- Young Forward Bethune Returns to Allen After Brief Appearance with the Americans in 17-18
- Relive the 2015 & 2016 Kelly Cup Championships