Nolan and Jardine's heroics lift Mavs to second straight postseason
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks punched their ticket to the 2011 CHL Playoffs with a 1-0 victory over the Quad City Mallards. Robby Nolan stopped 34 shots for his sixth shutout of the season and Ryan Jardine added the game winner in the third period to send the Mavericks to the playoffs for the second time in their two year existence.
The highlight of the first period was a five-on-three penalty kill by the Mavericks' league leading penalty kill unit. Missouri goaltender Robby Nolan made several spectacular stops during the kill as the Mavericks killed off nearly a minute's worth of a Quad City two-man advantage to keep the 0-0 tie intact. Nolan and David Brown of Quad City took the game over for the first two periods, not allowing a single goal to either team. Brown stopped all 22 shots by Missouri in the first two periods. Nolan was just as impressive, stopping all 20 attempts from the Mallards. But at the end of two periods, it was still knotted up at zeroes.
It seemed like the Mavs and Mallards were headed for overtime after remaining scoreless through 52 minutes of play, but a pass from Cole Ruwe found Ryan Jardine in the slot and Jardine put it behind Brown to put the Mavericks up 1-0. Blake Forsyth was given an assist on the goal as well. Jardine's goal would stand up and the Mavericks would preserve Robby Nolan's sixth shutout of the season.
Nolan stopped all 34 shots by Quad City and was named the first star of the game. David Brown stopped 33 of 34 shots by Missouri. The Mavs and Mallards didn't score any power play goals on the night as the Mavs went zero-for-two and the Mallards went zero-for-three.
The Mavericks travel to Moline, Illinois tomorrow to wrap up this home-and-home series with Quad City. Then on Sunday night, the Mavericks face the Dayton Gems at Hara Arena in Dayton, Ohio. The Mavericks return home on Tuesday evening as they take on the Colorado Eagles in their final meeting of the 2010-11 CHL regular season. Tickets are available for all Mavericks' home games at the Independence Events Center Box Office, by calling (800) 745-3000 or visiting www.TicketMaster.com. Season tickets for the 2011-12 season are on sale now by calling (816) 252-7825.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 4, 2011
- Yellow Horn's Streak Hits 14 In Allen's Loss At Texas - Allen Americans
- Killer Bees Can't Catch Eagles, Fall 5-4 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Beech, Robinson Help Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Texas takes down Allen - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Munce, Mudbugs Shut Bucks Out Again - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Lutes scores winning goal in overtime for Gems - Dayton Gems
- PrairieThunder Dominates Fort Wayne 6-2 on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Nolan and Jardine's heroics lift Mavs to second straight postseason - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks Outlast Tulsa on Thinel's Six-Point Night - Odessa Jackalopes
- Nolan, Mavericks Blank Mallards 1-0 - Quad City Mallards
- Bucks Blanked by Bugs Again - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Sundogs Awarded 2012 CHL All-Star Game - CHL
- Sundogs Awarded 2012 Central Hockey League All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Dayton Gems Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Game Day - RiverKings at Arizona - Mississippi RiverKings
- McLean Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- RiverKings Partner with Hernando Parks and Recreation - Mississippi RiverKings
- "Pack the House Night" benefit scheduled for March 26 to help teen cancer patient - Dayton Gems
- Shots from the Point for March 4, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavs Shutout for First Time All Season, Lose 4-0 to Indy
- Mavs Monday: KC Continues to Roll with Winning Weekend
- Mavs Finish Three-In-Three Weekend with Loss in Wichita
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win