Woodchucks Unable to Catch the Growlers
WAUSAU, WI - After another rain delay the Woodchucks were unable to tame the Growlers offense from scoring tonight.
The first three innings were quiet for both the Woodchucks and the Growlers. It wasn't until the 4th inning when Jimmy Sullivan for the Growlers had a double to center field bringing in Miko Rodriguez for the Growlers first run of the game. The Woodchucks would then answer back in the bottom of the 4th when Cameron Swanger had a sacrifice fly out to bring home Brandon Seltzer, tying the game up 1-1.
The Woodchucks were able to add one more to the score in the bottom of the 5th with a single from TJ Reeves to bring home Payton Nelson to make the score 1-2, Woodchucks.
In the top of the 6th the Growlers were able to add two more to the score to take the lead after a sacrifice fly from Khale Showers, and with runners on, Jimmy Sullivan hit a single to bring in another run for the Growlers. This gave the Growlers a 3-2 lead.
The Woodchucks then brought in Colson Geisler to take over for starting pitcher, Fernando Colon in the bottom of the 7th. In the top of the 8th, the Growlers were able to put runners on the bases and then scored off of a double from Jake Topolski, followed by a single from Brooks Coetzee bringing in another run, making the score 7-2, Growlers.
The Woodchucks tried to make a run in the bottom of the 9th to catch the Growlers with a sacrifice fly from Alejandro Gonzalez to bring home Alec Arnone, making the score 7-3, Growlers.
The Growlers were able to win the second and final game of the series with the Woodchucks with a final score of 7-3.
Brandon Seltzer had two hits and one run
Payton Nelson had two hits and brought in one run.
The Wisconsin Woodchucks will continue their homestand tomorrow Thursday, August 8th against the Kenosha Kingfish. The game will begin at 6:35 PM with gates opening one hour before. It will be Leinie's Night & Hangover 10th Anniversary Night. Bring your own Wolfpack and enjoy Leinie's Night featuring drink specials presented by Leinenkugel's. There will also be a Beer Glass Giveaway for the first 250 fans. For tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 7, 2019
- Growlers Bounce Back with a Sweep of the Woodchucks - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Top of the Order Powers Bucks to 9-2 Sweep - Waterloo Bucks
- Bombers Thrashed by Mallards on Wednesday Night - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Sweep Rafters - Kenosha Kingfish
- Huskies and Loggers Split Wednesday's Twin Bill - Duluth Huskies
- Booyah Set Record in Win Versus Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Campbell and MoonDogs Complete Sweep of Rox Wednesday - Mankato MoonDogs
- Woodchucks Unable to Catch the Growlers - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Strong Pitching Blows Away Bombers - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Look to Bounce Back in Finale with Kenosha - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kalamazoo Growlers Playoff Update - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Three Honkers Compete in Major League Dreams Showcase - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards Clash with Battle Creek for Last Time During Regular Season - Madison Mallards
- Mallards Host 2019 Major League Dream Showcase - Northwoods
- Mallards Host 2019 Major League Dream Showcase - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.