Wood Ducks Swept By Blue Rocks In Pitcherâ??s Duel
Wilmington, Del. - The Wilmington Blue Rocks snapped a scoreless tie in the eighth inning, while the Wood Ducks stranded the tying and go-ahead runners on base in the ninth, in a 2-1 loss.
Down East (34-26, 84-46) suffers their season-worst fourth consecutive loss, and suffer just their second true sweep of the season.
Noah Bremer was excellent in his start. He fired six scoreless innings giving up just one hit. He walked three and struck out four. It was Bremer's fourth quality start in his last five outings.
Royals righty Jesse Hahn made the rehab start for the Blue Rocks and struck out the side in his only inning of work. Jonathan Bowlan followed and fired six scoreless for Wilmington giving up two hits and three walks, while striking out four.
The Wood Ducks threatened in the seven and eighth inning but were turned away. Julio Pablo Martinez led off the seven by working a walk, and then stole second to get into scoring position. He was picked off though, for the first out of the inning. Sam Huff then followed with a walk, and then Curtis Terry lined a single into left, but the Woodies could not capitalize. Then in the eighth, Diosbel Arias walked with out, stole second, and advanced to third on a throwing error on the play. However, Josh Mitchell (win, 5-0) was able to strand him, and the game remained scoreless.
Wilmington rallied in the bottom of the eighth against Jefferson Medina (loss, 3-2). Colby Shultz and Ricky Aracena singled with one out, and then Kyle Isbel lined a single to right-center to break the scoreless tie. Joe Kuzia then came on and gave up a sac fly to Brewer Hicklen to push Wilmington out to a 2-0 lead.
The Wood Ducks clawed back in the ninth. Martinez lined a triple down the right field line, and Huff followed with an RBI single to make it 2-1. Sherten Apostel, who extended his on-base streak to 25-straight, walked to put two aboard, but the Wood Ducks went on to strand both runners, as Josh Dye (save 5) picked up a flyout and poput to end it.
The Woodies then return home, Monday, to close out the regular season home slate with a four-game series against the Frederick Keys. Right-hander Reid Anderson (6-7, 4.21) will take the mound for Down East, opposed by Frederick left-hander Cameron Bishop (1-9, 4.83). First pitch is set for 7 p.m., and the broadcast will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull and online at 960thebull.com as well as the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps. It's Dogs and Dogs Night at Grainger Stadium, featuring $1 Hot Dogs and $1 admittance for dogs into the ballpark. For tickets and more information visit woodducksbaseball.com or call (252) 686-5172.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Woodpeckers Stun Keys in Comeback Victory - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Eighth Inning Spoils Keys Comeback - Frederick Keys
- Mudcats Limited to Two Hits in 5-2 Loss to Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Pitching Dominates as Hillcats Avoid Sweep - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Wood Ducks Swept By Blue Rocks In Pitcherâ??s Duel - Down East Wood Ducks
- Red Sox Sweep Pelicans with Sunday Walk-Off Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- P-Nats Blank Dash 4-0 in Sunday's Rubber Match - Winston-Salem Dash
- Tetreault's Gem Guides Potomac to Win over Dash - Potomac Nationals
- August 25 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Carolina League MVP Mario Feliciano Promoted to Double-A - Carolina Mudcats
- August 25 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Castro Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 179th Hillcat to Make Majors - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 25 at Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 25 at Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Schedule
- Fayetteville Uses Four Run Seventh To Advance To Championship
- September 8 Game Information
- CLDS Tied 2-2 After Down East, Fayetteville Split Double-Header