Tetreault's Gem Guides Potomac to Win over Dash
Woodbridge, VA - In need of a series win with the season's final week approaching, the Potomac Nationals (32-29, 62-66) earned their second consecutive shutout victory over the Winston-Salem Dash (30-31, 68-57) by a score of 4-0 on Sunday afternoon.
RHP Jackson Tetreault (W, 3-2) was sharp in his return to Northwest Federal Field, tossing 6.0 scoreless innings while striking out seven for his first Carolina League win since April. With the win, Potomac will be no more than 2.5 games behind first-place Salem with nine games remaining in the regular season.
Potomac jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first against LHP Taylor Varnell (L, 1-2), turning a leadoff walk from LF Jack Sundberg into a run when 1B Ryan Zimmerman ripped an RBI double to left-center. It would be the first of two hits for the rehabbing Zimmerman, who also added a walk in his fourth game with the P-Nats.
Making his second consecutive start against the Dash, Tetreault remained in control throughout his outing. Winston-Salem loaded the bases with one out in the second, but Tetreault fanned 2B Tate Blackman and CF Steele Walker to preserve the 1-0 lead. Seven strikeouts marked a P-Nats season high for the lefty, who began the year in the Potomac rotation before spending three months at Double-A Harrisburg.
The P-Nats added to their lead in the middle innings, as SS Gilbert Lara led off the fifth with a single before CF Cole Freeman hit his third home run over the season over the left field wall. The two-run shot highlighted a 2-for-3 afternoon for Freeman, who also added his team-leading 28th stolen base in the seventh inning before a wild pitch scored him to put the P-Nats ahead 4-0.
RHP Jorge Pantoja pitched a scoreless seventh and LHP Hayden Howard got the final six outs to finish off the combined shutout, marking the first time in 2019 the P-Nats have shut out an opponent in back-to-back days. The P-Nats end their season series against the Dash with a 9-10 record, with 19 head-to-head games the most of any opponent outside the Northern Division.
The P-Nats continue their homestand on Monday night as they begin a series against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, Advanced-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. LHP Tim Cate is set to get the start for Potomac opposite Pelicans LHP Brailyn Marquez in the opener of a four-game set. First pitch from Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium is set for 7:05, with the P-Nats Leadoff Show hitting the air at 6:50. Fans can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com or on the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
Fredericksburg Baseball is set to begin Carolina League play in 2020 at a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium facility, located at Celebrate Virginia South on Carl D. Silver Parkway near the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, VA. Celebrate baseball in The 'Burg and stay up to date with the progress of the new ballpark facility and the team online at www.fredericksburgbaseball.com, and follow Fredericksburg Baseball on Facebook (@FredericksburgBaseball), on Twitter (@FXBGBaseball20), and on Instagram (@fredericksburgbaseball).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Woodpeckers Stun Keys in Comeback Victory - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Eighth Inning Spoils Keys Comeback - Frederick Keys
- Mudcats Limited to Two Hits in 5-2 Loss to Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Pitching Dominates as Hillcats Avoid Sweep - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Wood Ducks Swept By Blue Rocks In Pitcherâ??s Duel - Down East Wood Ducks
- Red Sox Sweep Pelicans with Sunday Walk-Off Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- P-Nats Blank Dash 4-0 in Sunday's Rubber Match - Winston-Salem Dash
- Tetreault's Gem Guides Potomac to Win over Dash - Potomac Nationals
- August 25 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Carolina League MVP Mario Feliciano Promoted to Double-A - Carolina Mudcats
- August 25 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Castro Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 179th Hillcat to Make Majors - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 25 at Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 25 at Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents
- P-Nats Drub Frederick 11-2 in Franchise's Final Potomac Game