Wong Scores First as a Front, But Generals Win 6-1
The Frontenacs and Generals battled for the sixth time this year on Friday night, but there were many changes from their last meeting just 3 weeks ago. Brett Neumann and Nick Wong had swapped jerseys and faced off against their former squads for the first time. Oshawa had also added Brandon Saigeon, Lleyton Moore and Nicolas Mattinen since that game.
It was a slow start to the game as the two teams looked to be feeling each other out a bit. The Generals out shot the Frontenacs 7-3 in the period. Dawson Baker was the only player to take a penalty, which Kingston killed off. The highlight of the period was the video tribute to Brett Neumann at the TV timeout. He was playing his first game back in Kingston after being acquired by the Generals on January 5th. The period ended in a scoreless tie.
In the second period the Generals started to flex their muscle. At 4:32, Nando Eggenberger finished a Generals odd man rush and put his team ahead 1-0. Just under ten minutes later, Brett Neumann made an impact in his first game against his former team. He tipped a Giovanni Vallati shot by Brendan Bonello that doubled the Generals lead. That was followed up by Anthony Salinitri making it 3-0 with a powerful back hand in the top corner. Oshawa dominated the period by outshooting Kingston 20-8 and outscoring them 3-0.
The third period was more of the same when it came to momentum. Tyler Tullio made it 4-0 Oshawa when he was in the right place at the right time. Nick Wong did get the Frontenacs on the board on the power play for his first as a Frontenac. The goal didn't spark enough momentum to get Kingston back in the game. Salinitri and Eggenberger both added their second of the game to make the final score 6-1 for Oshawa.
The Frontenacs have Saturday off before hosting the Hamilton Bulldogs on Sunday afternoon. Game time is 2 p.m. and tickets are available at Leon's Centre box office or ticketmaster.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Steelheads Fill the Net - Mississauga Steelheads
- Wong Scores First as a Front, But Generals Win 6-1 - Kingston Frontenacs
- Petes Shut out by 67's in Ottawa - Peterborough Petes
- Big Crowd Sees Sting Stop Erie - Sarnia Sting
- DiPietro Sets Shutout Record as 67's Blank Petes 4-0 on Dunder Mifflin Night - Ottawa 67's
- Attack Fall to the Storm 5-2 in First Meeting Since Trade Deadline - Owen Sound Attack
- Rangers Put up 7 in a Win over the Spitfires - Kitchener Rangers
- Otters Fall Short 3-2 in Sarnia - Erie Otters
- 67's Set to Welcome Biggest Crowd of the Season - Ottawa 67's
- 'Hounds Defeat Troops - North Bay Battalion
- Petes Fall Short in Comeback Effort against Storm - Peterborough Petes
- The Home Depot Night Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs. Owen Sound Attack - Guelph Storm
- Colts Charge into the Weekend with 3-2 Victory over the Knights - Barrie Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.