Wondolowski Scores, Helps Quakes Earn Point against Toronto FC
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes earned a point at home Saturday night with a 1-1 draw against defending MLS Cup champions Toronto FC. Chris Wondolowski scored his 141st career goal and seventh of the season in the match. The Quakes forward is now just four goals away from tying Landon Donovan's all-time MLS goals record (145).
Toronto FC took the lead in the 59th minute through Lucas Janson's strike, but Wondolowski leveled the score in the 77th after entering the match as a substitute less than 15 minutes prior. With the result, the Quakes remain undefeated against the trio of Canadian teams at Avaya Stadium with a 4-0-4 record.
The Quakes will now take on Vancouver Whitecaps FC, presented by CEFCU, next Saturday, Aug. 25 at Avaya Stadium, beginning at 6:45 p.m. PT. The match will air live on NBC Sports Bay Area, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
MLS Regular Season
San Jose Earthquakes 1 -1 Toronto FC
Aug. 18, 2018 - Avaya Stadium in San Jose, Calif.
Scoring Summary: TOR - Lucas Janson (Gregory van der Wiel, Sebastian Giovinco) 59; SJ - Chris Wondolowski (unassisted) 77.
Misconduct Summary: SJ - Guram Kashia (caution) 52.
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES: Andrew Tarbell; Joel Qwiberg, Florian Jungwirth, Guram Kashia, Nick Lima; Anibal Godoy, Luis Felipe; Jahmir Hyka (Chris Wehan 64), Vako, Magnus Eriksson (Dominic Oduro 89); Danny Hoesen (Chris Wondolowski 64).
SHOTS: 18; SHOTS ON TARGET: 5; SAVES: 0; FOULS: 14; CORNER KICKS: 9; OFFSIDES: 5.
TORONTO FC: Alexander Bono; Ashtone Morgan (Gregory van der Wiel 58), Nick Hagglund, Jason Hernandez, Justin Morrow; Jay Chapman, Michael Bradley, Jonathan Osorio; Marco Delgado; Jordan Hamilton (Sebastian Giovinco 58), Lucas Janson (Drew Moor 66).
SHOTS: 7; SHOTS ON TARGET: 1; SAVES: 4; FOULS: 7; CORNER KICKS: 2; OFFSIDES: 4.
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES HEAD COACH MIKAEL STAHRE
Overall thoughts of the match:
"I think our first half, in my perspective, was the best 45 minutes this season. We faced a really good team, an organized team with good players as well. Even if they rested some players they still had a really good lineup. I thought we created five really good chances in the first half and if we scored in the first half we would have won the game."
On Joel Qwiberg's performance:
"I think he handled it well. It was his second game in the lineup. He played against Philadelphia in one of the first five games. He handled it well in general, especially in the first half and maybe he ran out of gas in the second half, but I must say that I am pleased with his performance."
On what he told Chris Wondolowski before he was subbed into the match:
"I don't have to tell Wondo [Chris Wondolowski] anything about what is going on. Just to press the ball and go forward and also to be in the box. I'm really happy that he scored a goal. He helped the team a lot and gave the energy to the team in that moment, so it was good."
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES FORWARD CHRIS WONDOLOWSKI
On his mindset coming into the match a goal down:
"It doesn't matter when or how you play. If you play one minute or 90 minutes, you try to make an impact and try to help the team win. Bummed we couldn't get a win, but it was a good comeback I guess."
On if he was determined to make a difference:
"You want to prove that you deserve time out there and earn minutes any way you can. You know, I thought Danny [Hoesen] played well. I was surprised to go in for him. I just wanted to go out there and do my thing."
On the team's performance:
"To be honest I thought we played pretty well at times, especially in the first half. I thought we really bossed the game in a sense and created a lot of opportunities, so it was kind of unfortunate not to find the back of the net. This game was a funny one. I thought Toronto came out and did a good job adjusting and they got the first goal. It took us about 10 minutes to settle back down and find our form again."
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES DEFENDER JOEL QWIBERG
On how he felt about his performance:
"I haven't played in a long time, but I think it was ok. Especially because I had help from my teammates. Flo [Florian Jungwirth] had a really good game. Everyone today had a solid performance and that helped me a lot."
On the team's performance:
"Today, especially first half, was a really solid performance in both the defense and offense. We have to keep doing what we do every week because I think we are taking steps all the time. We played against a really good team today with some really good players. I think [Michael] Bradley is a top player in this league, Giovinco, of course, and van der Wiel. They have a lot of good players, so I think we have to keep working and studying the opponents. Dallas and Vancouver will be different games, but we have to keep working hard."
On Chris Wondolowski's goal:
"We know he is a goal scorer and he needed the chance. I was not surprised that he scored."
Images from this story
San Jose Earthquakes celebrate a Chris Wondolowski goal
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 18, 2018
- Wondolowski Scores, Helps Quakes Earn Point against Toronto FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Fall to Real Salt Lake 2-1 in Stoppage Time - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Fall 3-0 to Sporting Kansas City - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Fall 2-1 at Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Tops Portland 3-0 for Third Straight Win - Sporting Kansas City
- Impact Beats Chicago Fire 2-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Notes & Quotes: Philadelphia Union 2 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- 'Caps, Red Bulls share points as Waston, Royer match braces - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Post-Game Notes: New York Steals Point at Vancouver, 2-2 - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Sets Club-Record Six-Match Win Streak with 5-0 Hammering of LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, Seattle Sounders FC 5 - Saturday, August 18, 2018 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Independent Panel Denies FCD Appeal of Reto Ziegler Red Card - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC with a Road Contest Tomorrow at Atlanta United FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Three Points: Dynamo Look to Regain Home Field Advantage - Houston Dynamo
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Finishes Three-Match Homestand Sunday Night against Colorado Rapids - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Defeat LAFC 3-0 in Preseason Contest
- Earthquakes to Face C.F. Monterrey on Saturday, March 23
- Earthquakes Announce 2019 Theme Nights
- Earthquakes Midfielder Vako Obtains Green Card
- Earthquakes Sign 15-Year-Old Academy Product Cade Cowell as Homegrown Player