Wisely Drives in Three, Hot Rods Cruise to 10-2 Win on Saturday
Bowling Green, Kentucky - Brett Wisely launched a first-inning homer and collected three RBIs in the Bowling Green Hot Rods (82-36) 10-2 drubbing of the Wilmington Blue Rocks (52-64) on Saturday at Bowling Green Ballpark in Bowling Green, Kentucky. The two teams play the series finale on Sunday with a 12:00 PM CT first pitch.
Bowling Green broke onto the scoreboard first in the bottom of the first frame against Blue Rocks starter Seth Shuman. Wisely crushed a ball over the wall in right, rounding the bases with a solo home run. It was the eighth for Wisely with Bowling Green and gave the Hot Rods a 1-0 lead.
The Hot Rods plated three more runs in the third inning with Shuman still on the bump. Alika Williams led off with a single and moved up to second on a wild pitch. Curtis Mead put a ball on the ground to the Wilmington shortstop Yasel Antuna, who made an errant throw to first, scoring Williams and moving Mead to second. Bowling Green added two more runs in the fourth inning on an error and a Mead solo homer, expanding the lead to 6-0.
Four more runs scored in the bottom of the sixth for Bowling Green. All nine hitters reached the plate, highlighted by RBIs from Wisely and Grant Witherspoon, giving Bowling Green a 10-0 edge. The Blue Rocks scored two runs in the top of the seventh on a home run by Isreal Pineda, cutting into the Hot Rods lead, 10-2. Alan Strong and Angel Felipe held Wilmington scoreless over the last two innings, resulting in a 10-2 Hot Rods victory.
John Doxakis tossed 3.0 scoreless innings, allowing one hit, one walk, and struck out three in a no-decision. Nathan Witt (1-0) pitched 2.0 perfect innings while striking out one in his first win of the year. Trey Cumbie hurled 2.0 innings, surrendering two runs on two hits while striking out two. Strong finished 1.0 inning, giving up one hit and striking out three. Felipe tossed a scoreless final inning, walking one and striking out three.
Notes: All nine starters for the Hot Rods had at least one hit... Wisely had his ninth multi-hit game with Bowling Green... He also had his ninth multi-RBI performance... This is the fourth time with BG that he has had three RBIs in a game... Williams had his fourth multi-hit game with the Hot Rods... Infante collected his fourth multi-hit performance since joining Bowling Green... This was his first game with three hits... Trevino had multiple hits for the eighth time this year... The Hot Rods are 53-19 when scoring first... They are 57-4 when outhitting their opponents... The 10-2 win was the largest win since the Hot Rods beat Greensboro 10-0 on August 21st... The two teams play again Sunday with a 12:00 PM CT first pitch... The Hot Rods send RH Evan McKendry (4-3, 3.73) to the bump against Blue Rocks LH Evan Lee (4-3, 4.32)... Fans can catch all of the action by watching on MiLB.tv or listening through the MiLB First Pitch app, tuning into WBGN 94.5 FM and 1340 AM, or visiting https://www.milb.com/bowling-green/fans/audio-listen-live
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Dash Fall 4-3 in Season Finale - Winston-Salem Dash
- Sogard Smashes Two Homers in Drive Season Finale Win, 4-1 - Greenville Drive
- Cyclones Season Ends with 3-1 Loss to BlueClaws - Brooklyn Cyclones
- BlueClaws Finish Season with 3-1 Win in Brooklyn on Sunday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Hot Rods Rained out in Regular Season Finale on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 19) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rome Braves, Hickory Crawdads Cancel Final Game of Season - Rome Braves
- Hoppers Lose Next-To-Last Game of Season in 12 Innings - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Gades Get Copa Night Win - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Wisely Drives in Three, Hot Rods Cruise to 10-2 Win on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Bowling Green introduces new logos and uniforms for 2022 season
- Hot Rods Win High-A East Championship in 6-3 Game-Five Win
- Hot Rods Game Notes - High-A East Championship Game 5
- Hot Rods Force Game Five with 7-5 Win over Greensboro on Monday
- Hot Rods Game Notes - High-A East Championship Series Game 4