Sogard Smashes Two Homers in Drive Season Finale Win, 4-1
Aberdeen, M.D. - Nick Sogard belted two homers and drove in all four Greenville runs to win the season finale, 4-1, over Aberdeen Sunday afternoon at Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium.
The Drive won the series, 4-2, and finished the season with a 67-53 record-14 games over .500, a season-high. They went 10-7-3 over the 20 series played.
Greenville's offense combined for seven hits, a double and two homers, both from Sogard. He finished 2-for-3 with four RBI and two runs. Stephen Scott tallied the other multi-hit performance with two singles and a run. Joe Davis had one hit, a double.
Brendan Cellucci picked up the win in relief. He tossed 1.0 shutout inning with two punchouts. Oddanier Mosqueda got the hold after working 2.0 shutout innings, fanning one. Brendan Nail earned the save, his third on the year.
Jose Espada started for the Drive and did not factor into the decision. He tossed 3.0 scoreless innings and allowed three hits and no walks while fanning three. Overall, the staff held the Ironbirds 0-for8 with runners in scoring position.
Jake Lyons was charged with the loss after relenting three runs.
After three scoreless frames, Greenville jumped on the board in the fourth to take a 1-0 lead. Dearden opened up the inning with a single and then advanced to third on a Davis double. After a strikeout, Sogard skied a sac fly to left.
However, in the fifth inning, the Ironbirds tied it at 1-1 with a sac fly of their own by Ryne Ogren.
Two innings later, the Drive retook the lead, 3-1. Stephen Scott singled to leadoff the inning. A batter later, Sogard connected on a two-run blast.
Greenville extended the lead, 4-1, in the ninth on a solo shot by Sogard-his second homer of the day.
The Drive's 2022 season schedule will be released in the coming weeks.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Dash Fall 4-3 in Season Finale - Winston-Salem Dash
- Sogard Smashes Two Homers in Drive Season Finale Win, 4-1 - Greenville Drive
- Cyclones Season Ends with 3-1 Loss to BlueClaws - Brooklyn Cyclones
- BlueClaws Finish Season with 3-1 Win in Brooklyn on Sunday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Hot Rods Rained out in Regular Season Finale on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 19) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rome Braves, Hickory Crawdads Cancel Final Game of Season - Rome Braves
- Hoppers Lose Next-To-Last Game of Season in 12 Innings - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Gades Get Copa Night Win - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Wisely Drives in Three, Hot Rods Cruise to 10-2 Win on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.