Winterhawks Beat Seattle 5-3 Friday
Five different players lit the lamp as the Portland Winterhawks (42-7-1-2) picked up a 5-3 win in Seattle Friday against the Thunderbirds (19-29-3-1).
Portland opened the scoring 6:28 into the game when Brendan Leipsic scored his 34th goal of the season to make it 1-0. Seattle responded later in the frame when they scored goals 30 seconds apart, first from Connor Honey followed by a goal by Alexander Delnov at the 14:00 mark as they took a 2-1 lead. Oliver Bjorkstrand responded for Portland with a power play goal at the 15:30 mark to make it 2-2 going into the second period.
The Hawks regained a lead 6:55 into the second when defenseman Shaun MacPherson registered his first career goal to make it 3-2. Ty Rattie extended the lead when he beat Seattle netminder Danny Mumaugh on a power play at the 17:55 mark to give Portland a 4-2 lead after 40 minutes.
Portland made it 5-2 with another power play goal 10:52 into the third from Nic Petan, his 36th of the season. Seattle's Shea Theodore made it a two-goal at the 18:17 mark, but that was as close as the Thunderbirds would get as the Hawks finished with a 5-3 win.
Rattie finished with a goal and three assists for four points, and now has a 16-game point streak going back to before he left for the World Junior Championship. Nic Petan and Brendan Leipsic each finished with three points, with a goal and two assists apiece.
Brendan Burke earned the win in net with 23 saves on 26 shots. Mumaugh took the loss with five goals allowed on 41 Portland shots.
Special teams were a big factor in Portland's win, as the Hawks were 3-10 on the power play, and 3-3 on the penalty kill.
The Hawks are back in action tomorrow when they host the Spokane Chiefs at 7 p.m. at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2013
- Hurricanes Edge Rebels 3-2 In Lethbridge - Red Deer Rebels
- Winterhawks Beat Seattle 5-3 Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Stunned by Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Pats win over Brandon - Regina Pats
- Blades blank Calgary - Calgary Hitmen
- Sound Tigers Come Back to Beat Whale 5-4 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blazers Host Chiefs Tonight at ISC - Kamloops Blazers
- Canada West "Husky-WHL Grad of the Month": Blair Macaulay, Manitoba - WHL
- WHL this Week: Looking Ahead - WHL
- Boes Named Player Of The Month - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats vs Brandon Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Rebels Score 3 in the Third Period; Win 6-2 over Kootenay - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Upended by Rockets - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.