Royals Stunned by Cougars
Prince George, BC - In a Friday night contest at the CN Centre, the Victoria Royals squared off against the Prince George Cougars in the first game of a weekend doubleheader. The Royals gave Coleman Vollrath the start in goal, while the Cougars responded with Mac Engel.
The Cougars opened the scoring on a goal by Chase Witala at 3:39 of the opening frame. After he gained possession of the puck in the neutral zone, Witala skated down the left wing and released a slap shot high over the glove of the Royals' netminder. Vollrath turned aside 17 shots in the first frame, but Prince George led 1-0 after 20 minutes of play.
Witala notched his second goal for the Cougars before Royals' forward Alex Gogolev solved Engel. Tanner Lishchynsky and Colin Jacobs increased Prince George's lead to 4-1 before Patrik Polivka replaced Vollrath in the Victoria net. Cougars' defenceman Dallas Ehrhardt got one past Polivka and Logan Fisher netted a powerplay marker for the Royals as Prince George skated into the second intermission ahead 5-2.
Witala rounded out the scoring for the Cougars as he completed his hat-trick and the Royals were unable to draw any closer. Prince George 6 Victoria 2.
Victoria went 1/714.2% on the powerplay while Prince George was 0/50.0%. The Cougars outshot the Royals 34-30.
The Royals will wrap up their three-game road trip Saturday night in Prince George. Puck drop is set for 7:00 p.m. Victoria will then head back to Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre on Tuesday, February 5th and Wednesday, February 6th for a midweek doubleheader against the Seattle Thunderbirds. Puck drop for both games is set for 7:05 p.m.
We are Royal Blue! Are you? Guarantee yourself the best seats for upcoming Royals games by visiting www.selectyourtickets.com, calling 250-220-7777 or visiting the Select Your Tickets box-office at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Mini-Packs, Vouchers and special rates for groups of 10+ are available by visiting www.victoriaroyals.com or calling 250-220-7889.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2013
- Hurricanes Edge Rebels 3-2 In Lethbridge - Red Deer Rebels
- Winterhawks Beat Seattle 5-3 Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Stunned by Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Pats win over Brandon - Regina Pats
- Blades blank Calgary - Calgary Hitmen
- Sound Tigers Come Back to Beat Whale 5-4 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blazers Host Chiefs Tonight at ISC - Kamloops Blazers
- Canada West "Husky-WHL Grad of the Month": Blair Macaulay, Manitoba - WHL
- WHL this Week: Looking Ahead - WHL
- Boes Named Player Of The Month - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats vs Brandon Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Rebels Score 3 in the Third Period; Win 6-2 over Kootenay - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Upended by Rockets - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.