Pats vs Brandon Gameday Preview
Friday, February 1st
Puck Drop: 7:00 p.m.
Regina Pats (18-27-3-3) Brandon Wheat Kings (18-30-2-2)
Through four games this season, the Brandon Wheat Kings have enjoyed success against the Pats with an opening weekend pair of victories and a 2-1 win in their most recent contest with Regina to lead the season series three wins to one. Morgan Klimchuk leads the Pats with two goals and two assists in four games while Lane Scheidl features a goal and three assists against the Wheat Kings. On the opposing bench, Nick Buonassisi leads all scorers in the season set with five points (1G, 5A). The Pats head into this evening's game on an eight game losing streak, but picking up points in two of their last three. One losing streak will be snapped tonight as the Wheat Kings come in on a three game slide. Tonight's game can be heard on 620 CKRM starting with the Press Box Sports Bar Pre-Game Show at 6:35 p.m.
Lead Up: Pats Battle Back in 3-2 Shootout Loss
The Pats found themselves down 2-0 to the Moose Jaw Warriors in the first period of Wednesday's game. Undeterred, Regina got goals from Braden Christoffer and Stephen Hak to tie the game in the second. The third period and overtime solved nothing, mainly due to some great goaltending from Matt Hewitt and Justin Paulic. Seven shooters failed to score in the shootout until Jordan Messier scored the Moose Jaw winner. For highlights, click here.
The Pats' 2012-13 Yearbook is hot off the presses and available for fans tonight! Player profiles, articles about the team and an expose on the history of the Pats venerable mascot, K9, are all featured in the Yearbook. For tickets visit ticketmaster.ca, the Brandt Centre Box Office or call the Pats Office for more information on Group Tickets.
The Pats last six games have been decided by one goal (plus empty net goal vs. Kootenay). Two of those have been decided in extra time or a shootout. The Pats have played in 23 one goal games this season.
Freezing the Puck
January saw some of Regina's coldest weather of the year, but the Pats goaltenders were red hot. Matt Hewitt and Teagan Sacher teamed up to allow two goals or less in eight out of eleven contests in the month.
Who to Watch on Brandon
It's rare that a rookie forward bears a large part of the offensive burden for a team, but Jayce Hawryluk has done exactly that for Brandon. Turning 17 on New Year's Day, Hawryluk leads Brandon forwards with 29 points on the season.
- Tonight is Stephen Hak's 19th birthday
- All of Braden Christoffer's four goals came in January, tying him with Lane Scheidl for second most on the Pats (Jan.)
- Chandler Stephenson's six point game just over a month ago (December 30th) is the highest total in WHL this season
at Brandon - Saturday, Feb 2nd, 7:30 p.m. (CKRM)
vs Lethbridge - Tuesday, Feb 5th, 7 p.m. (CKRM/Access 7)
vs Edmonton - Thursday, Feb 7th, 7 p.m. (CKRM)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2013
- Hurricanes Edge Rebels 3-2 In Lethbridge - Red Deer Rebels
- Winterhawks Beat Seattle 5-3 Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Stunned by Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Pats win over Brandon - Regina Pats
- Blades blank Calgary - Calgary Hitmen
- Sound Tigers Come Back to Beat Whale 5-4 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blazers Host Chiefs Tonight at ISC - Kamloops Blazers
- Canada West "Husky-WHL Grad of the Month": Blair Macaulay, Manitoba - WHL
- WHL this Week: Looking Ahead - WHL
- Boes Named Player Of The Month - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats vs Brandon Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Rebels Score 3 in the Third Period; Win 6-2 over Kootenay - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Upended by Rockets - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Bennett Dunlop Ford Named Official Vehicle Supplier for 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup
- Entertainment Lineup Announced for 2018 MasterCard Memorial Cup Celebration Zone
- Molson Coors Announced as Major Corporate Sponsor for 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup
- Mosaic to Sponsor School Kids Program at 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup
- Pats' Paddock Named WHL Rookie of the Month