Royals Upended by Rockets
Kelowna, BC - In a Thursday night contest the Victoria Royals travelled to Kelowna to take on the Rockets at Prospera Place. The Royals gave Patrik Polivka the start in net, while the Rockets turned to Jordan Cooke in the cage.
Kelowna opened the scoring 5:35 into the opening frame when Cody Fowlie accepted a pass below the right faceoff circle and centered a pass to Baillie who was stationed in front of the Royals' net. Baillie was able to direct the pass through the pads of Polivka and give the Rockets the lead. Kelowna went up 2-0 with a powerplay tally at the 10:53 mark of the first period. Damon Severson's shot from the right corner caused a scramble in front of the Royals' net, but a clearing attempt saw the puck inadvertently knocked in by a Victoria defenceman. Tyrell Goulbourne added a third Rockets' goal at 14:40 and Kelowna held a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes.
The Rockets added three more goals in the second period while Jamie Crooks was able to solve Cooke at the 5:47 mark. After two periods of play, Kelowna held a 6-1 advantage.
Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the final frame en route to the Rockets' victory. Kelowna 6 Victoria 1.
Victoria went 0/4 0.0% on the powerplay while Kelowna was 2/5 40.0%. The Rockets outshot the Royals 34-28.
Victoria now travels to Prince George to face the Cougars for a weekend doubleheader on Friday and Saturday nights. Puck drop for both games is set for 7:00 p.m.
We are Royal Blue! Are you? Guarantee yourself the best seats for upcoming Royals games by visiting www.selectyourtickets.com, calling 250-220-7777 or visiting the Select Your Tickets box-office at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Mini-Packs, Vouchers and special rates for groups of 10+ are available by visiting www.victoriaroyals.com or calling 250-220-7889.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2013
- Hurricanes Edge Rebels 3-2 In Lethbridge - Red Deer Rebels
- Winterhawks Beat Seattle 5-3 Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Stunned by Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Pats win over Brandon - Regina Pats
- Blades blank Calgary - Calgary Hitmen
- Sound Tigers Come Back to Beat Whale 5-4 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blazers Host Chiefs Tonight at ISC - Kamloops Blazers
- Canada West "Husky-WHL Grad of the Month": Blair Macaulay, Manitoba - WHL
- WHL this Week: Looking Ahead - WHL
- Boes Named Player Of The Month - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats vs Brandon Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Rebels Score 3 in the Third Period; Win 6-2 over Kootenay - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Upended by Rockets - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Royals Stories
- Royals Select John Wilson to Chair 2020 Memorial Cup Bid Committee
- Royals' Khore Elliott Named to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team
- Royals Select Phillip Schultz in CHL Import Draft
- Royals Announce 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule
- Royals Sign Top Pick Nolan Bentham