Pats win over Brandon
First Period Five-minutes into the first period, the Wheat Kings got into some early penalty trouble. Jayce Hawryluk went to the box for slashing at 14:30, and Chad Robinson joined him 1:23 later. The Pats called a timeout prior to their 5-on-3 powerplay opportunity. Just as Hawryluk left the box for the Wheat Kings, Scheidl shot the puck off of the end boards and Klimchuk pounced on the rebound. Klimchuk's 26th goal of the season gave the Pats the early 1-0 lead. Marc McCoy also assisted on the powerplay goal. In the offensive zone, Pats forward Patrick D'Amico was called for tripping with 7:25 left in the first period. The Wheat Kings tied the game up on their first powerplay chance at 6:42. Hawryluk's powerplay goal was assisted by Tim McGauley and Ryan Pulock. The first period ended with the visitors Nick Buonassisi in the penalty box for slashing. The Pats' Braden Christoffer and the Wheat Kings' Nick Walters dropped the gloves in front of the visitors' net. Both received fighting majors. The game was tied 1-1 at the end of 20-minutes with the Pats leading the shot count 8-7.
Second Period Buonassisi left the penalty box early in the second period with the game still tied, 1-1. Both teams played tight, defensive hockey throughout the first 10-minutes of the second period. Play continued to go back-and-forth until the 7:37 mark of the second period. The whistle at 7:37 was the result of a roughing minor by Pats defenseman Tye Hand. The Blue and White dug themselves into a hole 32-seconds later when Scheidl was called for tripping. On the penalty kill, Hewitt made three saves and was bailed out by the post. The successfully Pats killed off the Wheat Kings lengthy 5-on-3 powerplay. Colby Williams made a trip to the penalty box for hooking with 4:34 left in the frame. Williams exited the box two-minutes later with no change to the score. The Pats excellent penalty kill kept the score tied 1-1 after the second period.
Third Period It was almost 11-minutes until the tiebreaker goal was scored. Scheidl put the Pats ahead with his 25th goal of the year from Burroughs. As Pats fans know, though, the game wasn't over yet. Two-minutes after Scheidl's goal, McCoy was called for tripping at 7:44. Just as McCoy exited the box, Hawryluk potted his second goal of the game to once again even up the score. Scheidl scored his second goal of the contest with 2:32 left in the game, which made the crowd at the Dome erupt. Klimchuk and Trent Ouellette assisted the go-ahead tally. Teams were 4-on-4 for the final two-minutes of the third period after the Pats Dyson Stevenson and the Wheat Kings Marek Kalus were called for coincidental roughing minors. The Wheat Kings pulled their goaltender, but the Pats held onto their 3-2 lead to win the game.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2013
- Hurricanes Edge Rebels 3-2 In Lethbridge - Red Deer Rebels
- Winterhawks Beat Seattle 5-3 Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Stunned by Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Pats win over Brandon - Regina Pats
- Blades blank Calgary - Calgary Hitmen
- Sound Tigers Come Back to Beat Whale 5-4 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blazers Host Chiefs Tonight at ISC - Kamloops Blazers
- Canada West "Husky-WHL Grad of the Month": Blair Macaulay, Manitoba - WHL
- WHL this Week: Looking Ahead - WHL
- Boes Named Player Of The Month - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats vs Brandon Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Rebels Score 3 in the Third Period; Win 6-2 over Kootenay - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Upended by Rockets - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Pats Sedov Makes Team Russia for Under-18 World Championships
- Paddock and Sedov Make NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings for 2019 Draft
- Pats Dave Struch Named to Team Canada U18 Coaching Staff
- Pats Acquire Draft Picks in Trade with Winnipeg
- Pats Close Regular Season with Shootout Loss