Wingnuts Power up to Sweep Away Goldeyes
WINNIPEG, Manitoba - A season-high four home runs and 15 hits powered the Wichita Wingnuts to a 9-4 win over the Winnipeg Goldeyes on Wednesday night at Shaw Park. The win locked up a Wichita three-game sweep at Shaw Park for the first time in franchise history, and concluded a six-game northern road trip with a 5-1 record.
It was the Goldeyes (19-19) who struck first, getting a solo home run from Grant Heyman to seize a 1-0 lead in the bottom half of the second against Wingnuts starter Charlie Gillies (3-1). Wichita (25-13) had the answer in the top half of the fourth inning, exploding for six runs on six hits off Goldeyes lefty Mitchell Lambson (1-1). The inning was highlighted by five extra-base hits, the most recorded in any one inning for the Wingnuts this season. Tony Thomas doubled home Abel Nieves, then Fernando Perez sliced a two-run opposite field home run. Leo Vargas plated Logan Trowbridge with a single, then Hunter Clanin smacked his first professional long ball, a two-run shot that capped the scoring and made it 6-1.
Two more homers sailed over the fence for Wichita in the fifth, as Zach Nehrir drilled his third of the season then Perez destroyed another two-run bomb to put the Wingnuts in front 9-1. The multi-homer game from Perez was the Wingnuts second of the season, joining Zach Nehrir who accomplished the feat on June 17 vs. Texas.
Winnipeg would not go quietly, grabbing three runs in the bottom of the sixth to pull within 9-4. Andrew Sohn drove home one run with a double, then Josh Mazzola plated two more with a single before Gillies ended the inning by getting Kevin Garcia to ground into a double play. The Wichita starter picked up the victory with six innings of work, striking out two and walking two while allowing nine hits.
Felix Carvallo kept the Goldeyes off the board in the seventh and eighth innings, then Seth Harvey slammed the door by striking out a pair in a scoreless ninth.
The Wingnuts will be off on Thursday as they travel back to Wichita, preparing for a three-game series against the Sioux City Explorers on Friday at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 28, 2018
- Dogs Suffer First Shutout, Fall 7-0 in Gary - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Squander Opportunities in Series-Finale Loss to T-Bones - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Birds Score Five in Eighth to Seal Comeback Win in Cleburne - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Sneak by Goldeyes in Ninth - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor, 'Cats Blank Dogs, 7-0, in Series Finale - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Railroaders Stunned by Canaries in Finale - Cleburne Railroaders
- T-Bones Stay Hot in KC Heat; Clinch Third Series Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Come Back from the Dead, Erase Five-Run Deficit to Win 8-6 over Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Return Home After Tough Fargo Finale - Texas AirHogs
- One Day Only, Saints Lone Home Game on Next Homestand Is July 2 Independence Day Spectacular - St. Paul Saints
- Solomon's Complete Game + 13 Unanswered Runs = Series Sweep - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Sign Rookie Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Brown Remains Undefeated in RedHawks Win over AirHogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Grider Stays Hot But RedHawks Sink AirHogs - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Win Eight Straight, Cruise by Lincoln 7-1 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Haymakers and a Homer: Dogs Sock RailCats 4-3 - Chicago Dogs
- Timely Hits Help Canaries Level Series with Cleburne - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Falter as Canaries Even Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wingnuts Power up to Sweep Away Goldeyes - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Wingnuts Use Six-Run Fourth to Beat Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.