Windy City Finishes Home Stand with Win over Fort Wayne, 120-112
The Windy City Bulls, presented by BMO Harris Bank, the official G League affiliate of the Chicago Bulls, grabbed the win over the Fort Wayne Mad Ants on Saturday night, 120-112.
Despite the short rest on a back-to-back, Windy City brought the energy in the first quarter, pushing the ball in transition and knocking down open shots behind seven points and three assists by P.J. Dozier and Ferrakohn Hall's seven points and three rebounds.
The Bulls shot .643 from the field, .400 from long range, and forced ten Mad Ant turnovers in the opening quarter to take a 34-21 lead.
Fort Wayne made 23-9 push in the second frame to take the lead back from Windy City at 44-43 behind the play of Indiana Pacers Assignment player Alize Johnson with 11 points, ten rebounds and four assists in the first half, and Pacers Assignment player Goga Bitadze with eight points, nine rebounds and two assists.
The Bulls battled to regain the lead at half, 51-48, led by Dozier with 12 points, five assists and five rebounds and Hall with ten points and four rebounds.
The lead changed hands multiple times in the opening minutes of the second half with the Bulls able to break away late in the third to grab a 86-71 advantage heading into the fourth led by Denver Nuggets Assignment player Jarred Vanderbilt with 13 points and six rebounds in the third stanza alone, and three made three-pointers on three consecutive possessions by Milton Doyle.
Second chance put backs by Bitadze helped Fort Wayne narrow the gap once again in the final frame. The Mad Ants ended the game with a 23-to-10 advantage in second chance points behind 40 combined rebounds from Bitadze and Johnson.
Bitadze and Johnson also led the Mad Ants in scoring with 25 and 22 respectively.
However, the combination of Vanderbilt, Dozier and Doyle closed strong to give Windy City the win.
It was the starters who carried the load for the Bulls on this night with Doyle, Dozier, Vanderbilt, Hall and Adam Mokoka totaling 107 of Windy City's 120 points.
Dozier finished with 32 points, Doyle with 27 points on 6-for-10 from the outside including key baskets down the stretch, and Vanderbilt with 25 points and 12 rebounds.
Windy City (11-12) will head out on the road for their next contest against the Lakeland Magic next Thursday with a morning tip-off at 10 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Clippers Cruise Past Stars - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Blue Offense Goes Cold in Loss to Suns - Oklahoma City Blue
- Charge Split Series in Wisconsin - Canton Charge
- NAZ Suns Use Record First Half to Stifle Oklahoma City - Northern Arizona Suns
- Windy City Finishes Home Stand with Win over Fort Wayne, 120-112 - Windy City Bulls
- Wisconsin Returns the Favor, Downs Canton 131-123 - Wisconsin Herd
- Warriors Defeat Texas Legends, 139-118 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Greensboro Succumbs to Long Island - Greensboro Swarm
- Three Lakers Grab Double-Doubles, But South Bay Falls at Home - South Bay Lakers
- Brazdeikis Leads Knicks to Win over Magic, 112-106 - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Fall to Red Claws on Second Night of Back-To-Back - Grand Rapids Drive
- Waters, Maten Lead Claws to 5th Straight Win - Maine Red Claws
- Magic Fall to Knicks on Second Night of Back-To-Back - Lakeland Magic
- Magic Sign Josh Magette to 10-Day Contract - Lakeland Magic
- Cavaliers Recall Tyler Cook from Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Stars Outrun Hustle - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City Bulls Stories
- NBA G League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Windy City Bulls Virtual 5K to Benefit the Barn Senior Program of Schaumburg
- Windy City Bulls Player-Designed Shirt Sales to Benefit Local Food Pantry
- Mokoka Leads Windy City to Tough Win over Maine, 120-112
- Bulls Come up Short at Home to Go-Go, 117-108