Greensboro Succumbs to Long Island
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) - The Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, dropped the second game of its back-to-back, 119-109, to the Long Island Nets on Saturday at the Fieldhouse at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. Joe Chealey had a season-high 30 points for the Swarm (4-20) but Long Island (Brooklyn Nets affiliate) shot 53 percent in the second half to secure the road win.
Greensboro held the lead at half (57-55) but it was hot shooting by the Nets (7-15) in the third quarter that made the difference. Long Island made nine 3-pointers in the third quarter and shot 57 percent overall. The 3-point barrage was a team effort, as six different Nets made one in the quarter. As a result, Long Island outscored Greensboro, 39-28, and held on to the double-digit lead the final 12 minutes of the game.
Chealey's big night came on 11-for-18 shooting and also included five assists and four rebounds. Two-way player Kobi Simmons added 21 points, six assists, four rebounds and three steals in 37 minutes. Other double figure scoring efforts came from Caleb Martin (17 points), Jalen McDaniels (10) and Robert Franks (10).
For the Nets, Nicolas Claxton had a team-high 20 points off the bench to go with 10 rebounds. Fellow reserves Jaylen Hands (16 points) and Ismael Sanogo (15) had solid efforts too. CJ Williams led the starters with his 14 points, five assists and four rebounds in 31 minutes.
Long Island was strong on the boards, pulling down 47 rebounds and outscoring the Swarm, 10-0, on second-chance points. Greensboro did have more points in the paint (42-38) and fast-break points (17-13) than the Nets.
Greensboro's next game is on Friday, January 17, at the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Indiana Pacers affiliate) at 7:00 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Clippers Cruise Past Stars - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Blue Offense Goes Cold in Loss to Suns - Oklahoma City Blue
- Charge Split Series in Wisconsin - Canton Charge
- NAZ Suns Use Record First Half to Stifle Oklahoma City - Northern Arizona Suns
- Windy City Finishes Home Stand with Win over Fort Wayne, 120-112 - Windy City Bulls
- Wisconsin Returns the Favor, Downs Canton 131-123 - Wisconsin Herd
- Warriors Defeat Texas Legends, 139-118 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Greensboro Succumbs to Long Island - Greensboro Swarm
- Three Lakers Grab Double-Doubles, But South Bay Falls at Home - South Bay Lakers
- Brazdeikis Leads Knicks to Win over Magic, 112-106 - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Fall to Red Claws on Second Night of Back-To-Back - Grand Rapids Drive
- Waters, Maten Lead Claws to 5th Straight Win - Maine Red Claws
- Magic Fall to Knicks on Second Night of Back-To-Back - Lakeland Magic
- Magic Sign Josh Magette to 10-Day Contract - Lakeland Magic
- Cavaliers Recall Tyler Cook from Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Stars Outrun Hustle - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm Statement
- Swarm, Allegacy Federal Credit Union Make Donation to Junior Achievement of the Triad
- Charlotte Hornets Foundation Announces Multi-Faceted Plan to Assist with COVID-19 Relief
- Swarm in NBA 2KL Three for All Showdown
- Hornets Sports & Entertainment, HSE Ownership and Charlotte Hornets Players Team up to Establish Fund for Hourly Employees