Win Streak Reaches Nine as Winterhawks Down Spokane 6-0 Friday
The Portland Winterhawks (35-12-2-3) won their ninth straight game with a 6-0 victory over the Spokane Chiefs (31-16-2-2) Friday at the Moda Center in front of 9,646 fans.
Brendan Burke earned the shutout, his second of the season, stopping all 32 shots he faced.
Portland opened the scoring 10:18 into the game on a power play when Keegan Iverson flipped the puck past Spokane netminder Eric Williams for a 1-0 lead.
The Hawks made it 2-0 early in the second when Nic Petan, stationed behind the Spokane net, found Paul Bittner coming down into the slot, and Bittner beat Williams for the two-goal advantage.
Portland struck again at the 11:36 mark on a power play when Oliver Bjorkstrand scored on a shot from the right faceoff circle for a 3-0 lead. Bjorkstrand scored his second of the period at the 15:12 mark after a great tap pass from Derrick Pouliot as Portland extended it to 4-0 heading into the third.
The Chiefs made a goaltending change to open the third, with Garret Hughson taking over for Williams. Midway through the frame Nic Petan slid a cross-ice pass to Brendan Leipsic, who buried it for a 5-0 Portland lead. Adam de Champlain rounded out the scoring on a tip-in with 13 seconds to go to make it a 6-0 final.
Five different Hawks registered two points, while the team went 3-6 on the power play and 2-2 on the penalty kill.
The Hawks are back in action tomorrow when they host the Seattle Thunderbirds at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2014
- Royals' Pink in the Rink Sold Out - Victoria Royals
- ENMAX Pond Hockey Returns - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blazers Head to Kelowna Tonight - Kamloops Blazers
- Great Effort In 4-2 Loss To Rockets - Kamloops Blazers
- No Breaks for 'Tips in Loss to Thunderbirds - Everett Silvertips
- T-Birds Topple Tips - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chris Driedger owns franchise record for most career saves at 3,390 - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Drop Shootout to Giants - Victoria Royals
- Hurricanes Come Back to Edge Rebels 6-5 in a Shootout - Red Deer Rebels
- Win Streak Reaches Nine as Winterhawks Down Spokane 6-0 Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Beat Royals 5-4 in the Shootout - Vancouver Giants
- Kelowna doubles up on Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- Jarry Wins Goaltending Duel for Oil Kings - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Winterhawks Stories
- Winterhawks' Jarvis Named WHL on the Run Player of the Week
- Offense Explodes in Sunset Game Win
- Game Day Hub: February 16
- Everett Bests Portland in Washington
- Game Day Hub: February 15