Chris Driedger owns franchise record for most career saves at 3,390
Calgary, AB - The Calgary Hitmen defeated the Brandon Wheat Kings 7-4 Friday evening in the third annual Calgary Board of Education game at the Scotiabank Saddledome. The win snapped a three-game losing streak and improves Calgary to 32-13-3-3 on the season.
With his 12th save of the game, Hitmen goaltender Chris Driedger made franchise history, surpassing the club record for most career saves set by Martin Jones at 3,374 (2006-10). Driedger, who finished the night with 27 saves, now has 3,390 regular season saves over 135 games played for Calgary.
The Hitmen received goals from seven different players including multi-point performances from Brady Brassart (1g, 1a), Greg Chase (1g, 1a) and Ben Thomas (1g, 1a). Chase Lang, Connor Rankin, Adam Tambellini and Jake Virtanen completed Calgary's scoring tally, while Mike Winther and Pavel Padakin both contributed with two-assist efforts in the win.
Jayce Hawryluk, Ryley Lindgren, Quintin Lisoway and Calgary Flames prospect Eric Roy scored for the visiting Wheat Kings in the setback.
The Hitmen will now head out on a five-game road trip, starting tomorrow, Feb. 1, in Cranbrook against the Kootenay Ice. Calgary will also make stops in Victoria (Feb. 4-5), Vancouver (Feb. 7) and Kamloops (Feb. 8), before returning to the Scotiabank Saddledome on Tuesday, Feb. 11 for a tilt against the Prince Albert Raiders.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2014
- Royals' Pink in the Rink Sold Out - Victoria Royals
- ENMAX Pond Hockey Returns - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blazers Head to Kelowna Tonight - Kamloops Blazers
- Great Effort In 4-2 Loss To Rockets - Kamloops Blazers
- No Breaks for 'Tips in Loss to Thunderbirds - Everett Silvertips
- T-Birds Topple Tips - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chris Driedger owns franchise record for most career saves at 3,390 - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Drop Shootout to Giants - Victoria Royals
- Hurricanes Come Back to Edge Rebels 6-5 in a Shootout - Red Deer Rebels
- Win Streak Reaches Nine as Winterhawks Down Spokane 6-0 Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Beat Royals 5-4 in the Shootout - Vancouver Giants
- Kelowna doubles up on Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- Jarry Wins Goaltending Duel for Oil Kings - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Hitmen Stories
- Hitmen Teammates Carson Focht and Jett Woo Invited to Hockey Canada Summer Development Camp
- Hitmen Announce 2019 WHL Pre-Season Schedule
- Hitmen Alumnus Jake Bean Wins the Calder Cup
- Hitmen Make 10 Picks in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft
- Hitmen Select Grayden Siepmann 13th Overall in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft