Hurricanes Come Back to Edge Rebels 6-5 in a Shootout
The Rebels came into their final game of the season versus Lethbridge having won 4 of the 5 previous meetings.
The Hurricanes racked up the first nine shots on net but it was the Rebels who opened the scoring with their first. Rhyse Dieno snapped home his 18th goal of the season, shorthanded, 4:19 into the game. Scott Feser and Patrik Bartosak picked up the assists on the 1-0 goal.
Lethbridge, while still on the powerplay, tied the game just 33 seconds later. Reid Duke rattled one past Patrik Bartosak for his 10th of the season, set up by Jamal Watson and Carter Folk, at 4:52 making it 1-1.
Red Deer scored again at 6:36 when Scott Feser's centering pass hit Brooks Maxwell in the chest and fell into the Hurricanes net. Maxwell's 11th, also assisted by Dieno, made it 2-1. Maxwell put home his second goal of the period at 8:35, with assists from Adam Musil and Brady Gaudet, to make it 3-1.
The Hurricanes would get a goal from Folk, just his 2nd of the season, at 15:25 to send it to the intermission 3-2.
The Rebels regained a two-goal lead at 3:09 when Nick Charif took in a great pass from Meyer Nell and fired home his 2nd goal of the season, Haydn Fleury also picked up a helper, to make it 4-2. But, again, the Hurricanes replied at 5:35 scored his 2nd goal of the campaign at 5:53, 4-3.
For the third time on the night, the Rebels cashed in on the powerplay when Presten Kopeck netted his 9th goal, Gaudet and Fleury with the assists, at 3:36 to put the Rebels up 5-3.
Once again, Lethbridge cut their gap to one when Kolten Olynek scored his 4th on a Hurricanes powerplay, 5-4 at 7:30. They would finally draw even again at 12:03 when Duke scored his second goal on the night to make it 5-5. OVERTIME No scoring. The Rebels outshot Lethbridge 4-2 in overtime and 41-33 for the game. SHOOTOUT Olynek, the Hurricanes 5th shooter, scored the lone goal of the shootout to give the Hurricanes a 6-5 win.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2014
- Royals' Pink in the Rink Sold Out - Victoria Royals
- ENMAX Pond Hockey Returns - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blazers Head to Kelowna Tonight - Kamloops Blazers
- Great Effort In 4-2 Loss To Rockets - Kamloops Blazers
- No Breaks for 'Tips in Loss to Thunderbirds - Everett Silvertips
- T-Birds Topple Tips - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chris Driedger owns franchise record for most career saves at 3,390 - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Drop Shootout to Giants - Victoria Royals
- Hurricanes Come Back to Edge Rebels 6-5 in a Shootout - Red Deer Rebels
- Win Streak Reaches Nine as Winterhawks Down Spokane 6-0 Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Beat Royals 5-4 in the Shootout - Vancouver Giants
- Kelowna doubles up on Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- Jarry Wins Goaltending Duel for Oil Kings - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.