No Breaks for 'Tips in Loss to Thunderbirds
EVERETT - The Everett Silvertips found themselves on the wrong side of an closely-contested game as the Seattle Thunderbirds came away with a 2-1 victory in front of 6,266 fans Friday night at Comcast Arena. The 'Tips are now 2-2-1-0 against the T-Birds this season with the teams set to meet five more times over the next five weeks. Everett is back at it Saturday night hosting the Spokane Chiefs at Comcast Arena.
Silvertips leading scorer Josh Winquist netted his 32nd goal of the year in the contest, tying him for third in the league. Assisting on the goal were Ivan Nikolishin and defenseman Matt Pufahl as Everett tied the game at one on the powerplay at the time. Goaltender Daniel Cotton (7-3-4-0) stopped 22 of 24 shots in net for Everett.
Everett carried the momentum early and generated plenty of scoring opportunities on a first-period powerplay, but couldn't find the back of the net. Seattle would get on the board first off an unlucky bounce as Matthew Barzal's shot from the right boards caromed off Daniel Cotton and snuck inside the near post at 13:34. The Silvertips got a second chance on the powerplay late in the period and tied the game at one when Josh Winquist one-timed a shot into the top corner in the last minute of the first. Thunderbirds goaltender Taran Kozun kept the game tied with 1.9 seconds left in the period, making a sprawling save on Brayden Low after the puck bounced off the glass and out front. Kozun then saved another close call at the horn as Ivan Nikolishin batted the puck on net off the face-off. Shots were 13-9 for the 'Tips after 20 minutes.
Seattle got the only goal of the second period on a powerplay to take a 2-1 lead. Justin Hickman received a pass to the right of the Everett net and sent a pass across to the stick of Ryan Gropp, who backhanded the puck to the top of the net for the go-ahead goal at 7:21. The Thunderbirds outshot the Silvertips 8-4 in the second period.
The Silvertips had a chance to tie the game with two more powerplays in the third period, but were unable to capitalize to even the score. Everett called its timeout with just over a minute to play then pulled Cotton for an extra attacker before time ran out as the final buzzer sounded. Final shots were 25-24 in favor of the Silvertips after an 8-7 edge in the third period.
Seattle goaltender Taran Kozun (11-19-2-1) turned away 24 of 25 shots for the Thunderbirds. Everett was 1 for 5 on the powerplay while the Thunderbirds went 1 for 3.
The Silvertips continue a two-game weekend homestand Saturday night with another U.S. Division contest against the Spokane Chiefs. Opening faceoff is set for 7:05 pm as the 'Tips and Chiefs meet for the seventh time this season. Click Here for more on Saturday's events and promotions. Everett will then face Seattle again on the road Tuesday night in Kent.
Silvertips mini-game plans and six-game packs for the 2013-14 WHL season are available now at the team office. Visit www.EverettSilvertips.com or call 425-252-5100 for more information. To keep up with all the latest team news, "like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2014
- Royals' Pink in the Rink Sold Out - Victoria Royals
- ENMAX Pond Hockey Returns - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blazers Head to Kelowna Tonight - Kamloops Blazers
- Great Effort In 4-2 Loss To Rockets - Kamloops Blazers
- No Breaks for 'Tips in Loss to Thunderbirds - Everett Silvertips
- T-Birds Topple Tips - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chris Driedger owns franchise record for most career saves at 3,390 - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Drop Shootout to Giants - Victoria Royals
- Hurricanes Come Back to Edge Rebels 6-5 in a Shootout - Red Deer Rebels
- Win Streak Reaches Nine as Winterhawks Down Spokane 6-0 Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Beat Royals 5-4 in the Shootout - Vancouver Giants
- Kelowna doubles up on Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- Jarry Wins Goaltending Duel for Oil Kings - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Silvertips Announce Agreement with Everett Community College for 2020-21 Season Player Housing
- Calgary Flames Return Dustin Wolf to the Silvertips from the Stockton Heat
- Silvertips Announce Return of Gianni Fairbrother, Signed 3-Year Contract with Montreal (NHL)
- Silvertips Announce 2020-21 Roster at 24 Players
- Silvertips Open Regular Season March 20 at Home vs. Spokane, Announce 24-Game Schedule