Wilson clubs three-run homer as Rainiers prevail, 5-3
PORTLAND, Ore. - Mike Wilson hit a three-run homer, Brian LaHair doubled twice and drove in a run, and the Tacoma Rainiers rode a five-run sixth inning to a 5-3 victory over the Portland Beavers before 6,763 Thursday night at PGE Park.
After striking out the side in order in the fifth, Portland reliever Rocky Cherry ran into trouble in the sixth, allowing the first five batters to reach and falling behind 5-1. LaHair hit an RBI double and Wilson belted his fourth home run to highlight the five-run rally.
Jason Vargas (4-3) struck out six and held Portland to three runs on eight hits across 6 1/3 innings for the victory.
Matt Tuiasosopo, LaHair and Wilson had two hits apiece for the Rainiers (67-66), who moved a game above .500 and gained a game on division-leading Colorado Springs in the process.
Mike Baxter hit his fifth home run for the Beavers, who fell to 3-10 versus Tacoma this season. Trailing by four, Valentino Pascucci hit an RBI double and Sean Kazmar beat out an infield single that allowed a second run to score as the Beavers narrowed the margin to 5-3 in the bottom of the seventh.
In this third game of a major league rehab assignment with the Beavers (57-76), Edgar Gonzalez was 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored. Baxter and Chad Huffman added two hits each.
Robert Manuel worked the bottom of the ninth to record his third save for Tacoma.
Cherry (0-1) took the loss after allowing five runs, four hits and one walk to go with four strikeouts in two innings of work.
The Beavers play host to the Rainiers again Friday night at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 28, 2009
- Cabrera, bullpen lead Aces past 51s - Reno Aces
- Portland held to one run by Hernandez, two relievers - Portland Beavers
- Salt Lake Downs Colorado Springs, 5-1 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Z's win in Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Hammers out 8-2 Win - Round Rock Express
- Dillard, Sounds Derail Express, 8-2 - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs defeat RedHawks - Iowa Cubs
- Former Wolf Pack Standout Schmidt To Make Aces Debut - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Homestand Preview - August 31-September 3 - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Return to Reno for Final Homestand of 2009 - Reno Aces
- Upcoming RedHawks Promotions - Final Home Series - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sacramento clinched eighth division title in 10 seasons - Sacramento River Cats
- Wilson clubs three-run homer as Rainiers prevail, 5-3 - Portland Beavers
- Aces blanked by 51s - Reno Aces
- Memphis out-slugs 'Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss