Portland held to one run by Hernandez, two relievers
PORTLAND, Ore. - Matt Tuiasosopo homered twice and Mike Wilson hit his second home run in as many nights to propel the Tacoma Rainiers over the Portland Beavers 6-1 in front of 4,859 at PGE Park Friday night.
Tuiasosopo logged his first two-home run game of the year for the Rainiers (68-66), who moved within two games of first-place Colorado Springs in the Pacific North Division after the Sky Sox fell to the Salt Lake Bees 5-1 on Friday.
The beneficiary of Tuiasosopo's offensive output was Tacoma starter Gaby Hernandez (8-9), who held the Beavers to a run on six hits while walking none and striking out four over seven innings.
Danny Putnam hit an opposite-field home run in the second inning to provide the only scoring for the Beavers (57-77), who have lost four straight since winning seven-of-eight.
Portland's Cesar Ramos (4-5) settled down after allowing solo homers in the first three innings but was handed his fifth defeat.
Tuiasosopo hit solo shots in the first and third and Wilson had his solo shot in the second.
The Rainiers got a pair of insurance runs in the eighth inning on a double steal by Oswaldo Navarro and Prentice Redman. Beavers catcher Eliezer Alfonzo's throw sailed into center to allow Navarro to score and center fielder Danny Putnam's throw to third hit Redman and rolled toward the third base dugout, allowing him to score.
The Beavers and Rainiers continue their five-game series at PGE Park Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 28, 2009
- Cabrera, bullpen lead Aces past 51s - Reno Aces
- Portland held to one run by Hernandez, two relievers - Portland Beavers
- Salt Lake Downs Colorado Springs, 5-1 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Z's win in Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Hammers out 8-2 Win - Round Rock Express
- Dillard, Sounds Derail Express, 8-2 - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs defeat RedHawks - Iowa Cubs
- Former Wolf Pack Standout Schmidt To Make Aces Debut - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Homestand Preview - August 31-September 3 - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Return to Reno for Final Homestand of 2009 - Reno Aces
- Upcoming RedHawks Promotions - Final Home Series - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sacramento clinched eighth division title in 10 seasons - Sacramento River Cats
- Wilson clubs three-run homer as Rainiers prevail, 5-3 - Portland Beavers
- Aces blanked by 51s - Reno Aces
- Memphis out-slugs 'Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss