Wild Things Drop Middle Game to Miners
MARION, Il. - Mikael Mogues' two-run home run produced the two runs for Washington Wednesday, as the Wild Things dropped their second-straight game by a final of 3-2 to the Miners. The homer came in the seventh off former Wild Thing Chase Cunningham, who secured his fourth win as a Miner in the contest.
After two-and-a-half scoreless frames, Southern Illinois catcher Arturo Nieto homered against AJ Bogucki to lead off the third inning and start the scoring. The Miners added two runs on a Gianfracno Wawoe single and an error after a base hit by Stephen Lohr in the fifth, and led 3-0 behind what was dazzling work by Cunningham, the career innings pitched leader in Wild Things' history, in his first appearance against his former team.
Cunningham allowed a two-run homer to Mogues in the seventh, but fanned nine in the start, matching a career high that he did twice in hid three seasons in Washington. That turned out to be all Washington would muster, as Shaine Hughes walked against Jordan Brink to start the ninth and went to third in the one-run game on a base hit by Mogues with the Wild Things down to their final strike. Cody Erickson, activated off the injured list today, struck out to end the comeback effort and the game.
The Wild Things will look to snap the five-game skid and avoid the sweep tomorrow, with the first pitch of the finale at Rent One Park slated for 7:35 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Freedom Capture Series Victory against Boomers - Florence Freedom
- Wild Things Drop Middle Game to Miners - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Fall 2-1 in Shortened Game Due to Rain - Joliet Slammers
- Cunningham Dominates as Miners Beat Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Slowed in Middle Game at Florence - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts' Two-Run Seventh Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
- Big Inning Pushes Grizzlies to Second Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Even Series with 3-1 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Drop Third Straight - River City Rascals
- Crushers Lose by a Score of 3-2 to Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom Outlast Boomers in Extra Inning Classic - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Come Back, Beat Rascals in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Long Propels Otters to Comeback Win in the Eighth - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Take Opener 5-4 - River City Rascals
- Baranek Doubles, Homers, Drive Home Both Wild Things' Runs in Loss - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Wild Things Stories
- Washington Scores Six in 7th to Take Middle Game
- Wild Things Lose Ninth Inning Lead as Four-Game Win Streak Is Snapped
- Washington Clinches Second Road Sweep with Sunday Win
- Washington Clinches Series Win Saturday in Crestwood with Shutout Win
- Washington Takes Opener Behind Offensive Outburst