Rascals Drop Third Straight
SAUGET, Ill. -- The River City Rascals again squandered a first inning lead, dropping the middle game of their series 7-3 to the Gateway Grizzlies on Wednesday afternoon from GCS Ballpark. The Grizzlies hit two home runs in the deciding fifth inning to take the 2-0 series lead, handing the Rascals their season-worst third consecutive loss in the process.
The Rascals got back-to-back hits to lead off the game, and took advantage with a sacrifice fly from Kameron Esthay. After the Grizzlies countered with an RBI single from Jamey Smart in the bottom of the frame, the Rascals re-gained the lead after JD Hearn tripled to lead-off the second inning and came in to score on an RBI groundout from Andrew Penner.
The Grizzlies brought home five in the fifth, thanks to a three-run blast from Shawon Dunston Jr., which was followed by a two-run shot from Connor Owings. The Rascals brought in a run on a Braxton Martinez sacrifice fly in the sixth, but the Grizzlies added an insurance run on Ryan Kirby's RBI double in the eighth.
Rascals starter Alec Byrd (2-1) suffered the loss, allowing six runs (five earned) in six innings with four walks and nine strikeouts. Grizzlies starter Cody Luther (2-1) garnered the win, allowing three runs in 5 1/3 innings with one walk and five strikeouts.
The Rascals (16-13) look to avoid the sweep at the hands of the Grizzlies (14-15) tomorrow night, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. CDT. Alex Winkelman is expected to take the mound for the Rascals in the finale.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Freedom Capture Series Victory against Boomers - Florence Freedom
- Wild Things Drop Middle Game to Miners - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Fall 2-1 in Shortened Game Due to Rain - Joliet Slammers
- Cunningham Dominates as Miners Beat Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Slowed in Middle Game at Florence - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts' Two-Run Seventh Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
- Big Inning Pushes Grizzlies to Second Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Even Series with 3-1 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Drop Third Straight - River City Rascals
- Crushers Lose by a Score of 3-2 to Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom Outlast Boomers in Extra Inning Classic - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Come Back, Beat Rascals in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Long Propels Otters to Comeback Win in the Eighth - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Take Opener 5-4 - River City Rascals
- Baranek Doubles, Homers, Drive Home Both Wild Things' Runs in Loss - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.