ThunderBolts Even Series with 3-1 Win
EVANSVILLE, IN - Trey Fulton's two-run single in the seventh inning backed up a strong pitching performance from Chris Washington as the ThunderBolts beat the Evansville Otters 3-1 at Bosse Field Wednesday afternoon.
Evansville (16-13) took an early lead when Carlos Castro hit a leadoff triple in the second inning. He was still at third base two outs later but Mike Rizzitello rolled a single to left field to put the Otters ahead 1-0.
Shane Carrier tied up the score in the fifth. He hit a solo home run, his fourth of the year to make it 1-1.
That remained the score as Washington and Tyler Vail traded zeroes. Washington ran into trouble when Evansville loaded the bases in the fifth inning but he got Castro to ground out, ending the threat.
The ThunderBolts (14-15) put their first two batters on base in the seventh inning on a walk and a hit batter, but after a sacrifice bunt and a fielder's choice, they had two outs and no runs on the board. That's when Fulton grounded a 2-2 pitch inside the third base line to score two runs and put the ThunderBolts on top for the first time.
After Washington departed following the sixth inning, Joel Toribio, Colby Blueberg and Dylan Prohoroff each threw a scoreless inning to lock down the win.
Washington (1-3) picked up his first win with his fourth straight quality start. He allowed seven hits and one walk while striking out four. Vail (1-2) allowed three runs in 6.2 innings and took the loss. Prohoroff's perfect ninth inning moved him into the league lead with seven saves.
The rubber match of Windy City and Evansville's three-game series is set for Thursday night. The Bolts send Kenny Mathews (1-2, 3.71) to the mound against Evansville's Jake Welch (0-1, 3.49). First pitch from Bosse Field is scheduled for 6:35 CDT and the broadcast can be heard through wcthunderbolts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Freedom Capture Series Victory against Boomers - Florence Freedom
- Wild Things Drop Middle Game to Miners - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Fall 2-1 in Shortened Game Due to Rain - Joliet Slammers
- Cunningham Dominates as Miners Beat Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Slowed in Middle Game at Florence - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts' Two-Run Seventh Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
- Big Inning Pushes Grizzlies to Second Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Even Series with 3-1 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Drop Third Straight - River City Rascals
- Crushers Lose by a Score of 3-2 to Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom Outlast Boomers in Extra Inning Classic - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Come Back, Beat Rascals in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Long Propels Otters to Comeback Win in the Eighth - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Take Opener 5-4 - River City Rascals
- Baranek Doubles, Homers, Drive Home Both Wild Things' Runs in Loss - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.