Baranek Doubles, Homers, Drive Home Both Wild Things' Runs in Loss
MARION, Il. - Cameron Baranek, the Washington left fielder, doubled home a run and homered in the ninth inning of Tuesday's series opener in Marion, Illinois. It wasn't enough though, as the Wild Things fell 3-2 to the Miners to run their skid to four straight.
Baranek doubled home designated hitter Mikael Mogues in the second inning to allow the Wild Things to strike first. They led 1-0 all the way until a lead-off homer by Southern Illinois shortstop Bryant Flete in the sixth.
Washington starter Nick Wegmann tossed 5.2 innings of one-run ball and allowed four hits and four walks to go along with four punchouts. He allowed just the one run. Jesus Balaguer ended up being tagged for the loss, as a Gianfranco Wawoe infield single scored the game's go-ahead run for the Miners in the seventh.
The Miners added a needed insurance run in the eighth before Washington got a run on the Baranek solo shot in the ninth with two outs. Shortstop Brett Marr singled to put the tying run on base. Saige Jenco flew out to center to end the game.
Southern Illinois out-hit the Wild Things 10-5 in the game and evened the season series at two games apiece.
Former Wild Thing and all-time career innings pitched record holder Chase Cunningham will take the mound against his former team in the middle game tomorrow. Cunningham will be opposed by AJ Bogucki, who starts for Washington. First pitch is slated for 7:35 p.m. ET. Wednesday in Marion.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Freedom Capture Series Victory against Boomers - Florence Freedom
- Wild Things Drop Middle Game to Miners - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Fall 2-1 in Shortened Game Due to Rain - Joliet Slammers
- Cunningham Dominates as Miners Beat Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Slowed in Middle Game at Florence - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts' Two-Run Seventh Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
- Big Inning Pushes Grizzlies to Second Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Even Series with 3-1 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Drop Third Straight - River City Rascals
- Crushers Lose by a Score of 3-2 to Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom Outlast Boomers in Extra Inning Classic - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Come Back, Beat Rascals in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Long Propels Otters to Comeback Win in the Eighth - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Take Opener 5-4 - River City Rascals
- Baranek Doubles, Homers, Drive Home Both Wild Things' Runs in Loss - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.