Grizzlies Take Opener 5-4
SAUGET, Ill. -- The River City Rascals dropped their series opener against the Gateway Grizzlies on Tuesday night, falling 5-4 despite scoring three runs in the first inning. The Rascals recorded just one hit after the fourth inning, and Connor Owings provided the eventual game-winning homer in the seventh.
The Rascals took the early 3-0 lead after a sacrifice fly from Braxton Martinez, an RBI single from Nolan Meadows, and a wild pitch that scored Cody Livesay. However, the Grizzlies slowly chipped away, getting an RBI groundout from Jamey Smart in the first, an RBI single from Owings later in the frame, and an RBI single from Brent Sakurai in the fourth. They took the lead on a double play ball in the fifth, and Owings provided the insurance run in the seventh. After Martinez tripled and scored on a passed ball in the ninth, Grizzlies closer Grant Black buckled down for his sixth save.
Chris Carden (3-1) earned the win, despite a rough start, allowing just two earned runs in 5 2/3 innings. Rascals starter Brendan Feldmann allowed three runs in 3 1/3 innings in a no-decision, and Dillon Sievert (0-1) took the loss.
The Rascals (16-12) look the even the series up against the Grizzlies (13-15) tomorrow, with first pitch scheduled for 11:35 a.m. CDT. Alec Byrd is expected to take the mound.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Freedom Capture Series Victory against Boomers - Florence Freedom
- Wild Things Drop Middle Game to Miners - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Fall 2-1 in Shortened Game Due to Rain - Joliet Slammers
- Cunningham Dominates as Miners Beat Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Slowed in Middle Game at Florence - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts' Two-Run Seventh Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
- Big Inning Pushes Grizzlies to Second Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Even Series with 3-1 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Drop Third Straight - River City Rascals
- Crushers Lose by a Score of 3-2 to Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom Outlast Boomers in Extra Inning Classic - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Come Back, Beat Rascals in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Long Propels Otters to Comeback Win in the Eighth - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Take Opener 5-4 - River City Rascals
- Baranek Doubles, Homers, Drive Home Both Wild Things' Runs in Loss - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.