Big Inning Pushes Grizzlies to Second Straight Win
SAUGET, Ill. - Shawon Dunston Jr. drove a three-run home run over the right-field wall in the fifth inning Wednesday to give the Gateway Grizzlies the lead and Connor Owings followed with a two-run shot later in the frame to push the Grizzlies to a 7-3 win over the River City Rascals at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (14-15) has won back-to-back games and five of its last six; the Grizzlies have won back-to-back series for the first time since May 16.
River City (16-13) scored in the top of the first inning for the second game in a row. Jamey Smart grounded an RBI single through the right side of the infield to answer for the Grizzlies in the home half, but the Rascals took the lead back with another run in the second.
The 2-1 Rascals lead held until Dunston Jr. and Owings launched their fifth-inning home runs. Dunston Jr.'s was his third of the season and Owings' was his team-leading fifth big fly and second in his last two games. His RBI total reached 23, second in the Frontier League and best on the team. Smart is close behind with 22 batted in, fourth-most in the league.
Cody Luther (2-1) earned his second straight win. He allowed three runs over 5 1/3 innings and struck out five.
Patrick Boyle, Geoff Bramblett, Jason Seever, and Dakota Smith combined to toss 3 2/3 scoreless innings out of the Grizzlies' bullpen. Grizzlies pitchers have allowed only six earned runs over their last six games.
Brent Sakurai extended his team-best hitting streak to 13 games.
Gateway will try for its first sweep of 2019 in the finale Thursday against River City at 7:05 p.m. CDT at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Freedom Capture Series Victory against Boomers - Florence Freedom
- Wild Things Drop Middle Game to Miners - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Fall 2-1 in Shortened Game Due to Rain - Joliet Slammers
- Cunningham Dominates as Miners Beat Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Slowed in Middle Game at Florence - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts' Two-Run Seventh Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
- Big Inning Pushes Grizzlies to Second Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Even Series with 3-1 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Drop Third Straight - River City Rascals
- Crushers Lose by a Score of 3-2 to Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom Outlast Boomers in Extra Inning Classic - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Come Back, Beat Rascals in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Long Propels Otters to Comeback Win in the Eighth - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Take Opener 5-4 - River City Rascals
- Baranek Doubles, Homers, Drive Home Both Wild Things' Runs in Loss - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.